Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 or Prairie 650?? Help me decide!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 02:51 PM
rty
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 or Prairie 650?? Help me decide!!

I can't decide on a P-650 or a SP-500. I have read the pros and cons of each model, but am still undecided.
I will list my personal dislikes and likes for each model and maybe some of the owners out there will fill in the gaps or expound on my opinions.

SP-500: Cons: #1. Don't like the single lever braking or the rear-only engine braking. (This is my main complaint)
#2. Requires belt spring modification to make the takeoff snappy enough for wheelies.
#3. Concerned about reliability issues. I will admit Polaris has come a long way with the latest models.

Pros: #1. Belt seems to last a long time (lifetime warranty).
#2. Rides like a dream.
#3. Looks better than the P-650.
#4. Parts are cheap compared to the P-650.

P-650: Cons: #1. Belt squeals/squeaks and seems to need attention right off the showroom floor to make it last and even then its life appears to be short (around 1500 miles). This is my biggest complaint and the one that I can't seem to resolve. I really don't want to hear the belt making noise every time I ride. I have read NYROC"S site, but just never got the warm fuzzy feeling yet.
#2. The plastic is thin and looks really flimsy. Doesn't look like it will last very long
#3. The key is out on the right front fender and I wonder how easy it is to knock it off and lose it. (maybe this is a non-issue)

Pros: #1. What a motor!
#2. Has an excellent braking system.
#3. Sportier than the SP-500

So here it is. Take these opinions, rip'em apart and add in your experiences. Right now, I am leaning towards the P-650, If I can just get that darned belt issue squared away. By the way, I posted this on the Polaris and Kawasaki forums. THANKS!!

Old 10-15-2002, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like you've rode both? I would go with the P650, just because you said something about wheelies. I mean, it sounds like your looking for a sportier bike. I have a HO and can get it to use the ebs for 4 wheel engine braking.

Old 10-15-2002, 06:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RTY, put a $160 complete clutch kit in the 500 and the belt, wheelie, performance, and reliability issues will be done.Tunability on the pols are a huge plus. I have stated in another thread before. Make the dealer sell to you the customer. Have them throw in a clutch kit or something to entice you, or tell them to knock the price off for a clutch kit and go buy it yourself. They should be willing to do something for you if you tell them that the prairie is looking awfully tempting. Remember you are the customer and you can buy from anyone you want. Good luck with whatever you buy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Bubba

Old 10-15-2002, 06:30 PM
Range Rover

Just one question: Why did you narrow it down to two bikes in different size classes? For at or near the price you will pay for the P650 you could be looking at a SP600 or 700...

The extra power makes these bikes a little more comparable to the 650 in power. Above that, the suspension is a bit firmer(they corner and sidehill better without taking away from the ride, and are able to carry more than the 500) and the tranny is a much better design(includes a 'Park' position instead of only trusting the parking brake to hold you back). The same Pros and Cons you listed for the SP500 will apply to the twins, but I think they are much better bikes and worth the extra $$. By the way, the belt spring mod will only cost you 20-25 bucks.

...If I had to choose b/w the SP500 and the P650 I would go with the 650.
Pros:
1) Big seller=power. It's in a completely different world when compared to the 500.
2) Supposed to be great for fast riding and hill climbing/decending. If you are on open trails w/o a lot of deep mud this bike should be your choice.

Cons:
1) The plastic is pretty brittle, which can be a problem if you ride in cold weather(I believe there are a couple of threads on this topic in the kawasaki forum if you wanna check those out).
2) Straight axle rear=low ground clearance. Not an issue if don't have to deal with deep mud, deep snow, or large rocks on a <u>regular</u> basis. Once in a while should not be a deciding factor.
3) Stock tires are weak. No comparison to the Rawhides on the Polaris.
4) Belt/EBS is annoying(high pitch squeals). Not sure what maintenance on it usually costs.

...If I had to choose b/w the 700 and the 650 it would be the 700 all the way. You chose two great bikes though...can't go wrong with either.

Old 10-15-2002, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a 02 sportsman500ho. I have thirteen hundred miles on it . The only problem I have had is the water pump leaking and front huymbs were leaking other than that it is a great machine. My buddy bought an 02 P-650 not long after I got my Sportsman. I drove both and there is a lot of power with the P-650 and you can easily pull wheelies. He has had a lot of trouble with the belt making noise and slipping, not to mention the first time he had it serviced. My sportsman rides ten times better and has proven itself in the mud. Yes polaris is getting better with realibility, but I personaly like Polaris(This is just my oponion).

97 Sportsman 500
02Sportsman 500 H.O.

Old 10-15-2002, 10:58 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

That is a tough decision because both are great in different areas. The 650 is faster, lighter and spotier. The 500 is heavier, better supended (better ride), better mudder (due to better ground clearance - IRS) and larger (comfortable to ride with the wife). Nothing beats the ride of Independant Rear Suspension on rough terrain.

Our family has four Sportsmans and we like them very much. I liked mine so much I bought another after totaling my first (2001). All of ours have been trouble free (so was my 1993 Trail Boss). We have a 2000, 2001, and 2-2002s.

My neighbor has a 650 and it is a nice machine (Very Crappy stock tires). You need to ride both and see which better suits your needs. I mud and trail ride so the Sportsman suits me better.

Old 10-16-2002, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Well, Hot Seat makes a split brake kit, so you control the front brakes with your right hand, rear brakes with your left hand & foot. Everything is included in a do-it-yourself kit. I think it costs about $180
Clutch kits will really wake up the machine (although it still won't have the power of the twin). Cost starts at $150 & goes up from there. You can gain a little with a $15 spring swap, to help gain a boost off the start, but the full kit does a lot more good.

Now you have to ask yourself, is the Sportsman, with $300+ in mods still a better buy than the Kawi? Only you can answer that.

As for long belt life out of the prarie, I have heard various things tried with mixed results. Sorry I can't help you out on that one.

Farmr

Trending Topics

Old 10-16-2002, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

get the p-650... I've ridden both and the Sp 500 does not compare. I even liked the p650 better than Sp 700. The Sp600 may be the real contender

Old 10-19-2002, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

Been there done it. Go with the 500 Ho. Better all around machine. Today I just traded my Kawi 650 in for a 2003 500 HO. The Kawi was the WOSRT atv I have ever owned. Non existant customer service from all dealers, and from corporate as well. If you buy the Kawi purchase stocks in gates rubber as you'll at least get something for your continous belt purchases. Resale for the 650 is about as good as a Yugo. Durability of the plastic is poor. The black plastic cracks and tears at each attachment point.The tires on the Kawi are garbage and the aluminum rims are a bad idea, too soft.The plastic rack covers break and crack in cold weather. The brake cable to the rear clutch pack brake freezes as well as the lever going into the clutch pack. No there not in the same league for power, but that's what the 600 and 700 sportsman is for. Kawi will not come good for warranty claims. I learned the hard way and took a hit on trade in.

Old 10-20-2002, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider

jett, please post this in the Kawasaki forum as I hope that Kawasaki hears about their poor customer service in Ontario. I am surprised at all the trouble you've had. I'd like to see what other owners have to say about this. Sounds like there are some really bad dealers in your area. Most of the belt problems I have read about are from poor adjustments and dealers that were ignorant about the proper setup. I haven't heard about the cables freezing (and lots of guys ride in snow and ice) or about many problems with the plastic or the rims either, and I read the Kawasaki posts regularily. Some guys have said that they had to go to a different dealer to get good service. Maybe you just got a lemon. Sorry to hear about all your troubles. Hopefully the Sportsman will do better. It certainly has better stock tires. I think the Japanese ATVs all use the lighter tires to be able to make the 607 pound weight restrictions on their quads (poor excuse for the cheap Dunlop tires on the Kawi though).

Quick Reply: Sportsman 500 or Prairie 650?? Help me decide!!