Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HPD MODS

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPD MODS

I already have a HPD trail pipe and was thinking it was time for a piston change and was thinking of getting some other work done like the race mod and was wondering how well the trail pipe would work with type of porting. What do you think? I was thinking of saving the 300.00 on the pipe. What do ya think, not a good idea. Let me know.

Old 10-19-2002, 10:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HPD MODS

Hey, unless you have the race type pipe, dont have the cylinder race ported. The transfer ports and exhaust port gets changed to accomodate the higher rpms. With the trail pipe, you wont gain enough to notice.A good hot trail mod runs real well,though.To save money, have Rick Ritter or HPD redo the stock head, add the 39pwk carb and good reeds,a good air filter if you dont have one already, and send the cylinder to me. You can gain 8-9HP with a trail port job for $110 shipped back to you.If you have the aggressive clutch kit, you will not need to change anything with it. After your transformation,you can go up a tooth on the front sprocket, and the bike will be a night and day difference from now. To save additional money now, you can do like my wife and keep the stock carb, but with some porting that 39 sure does wake it up. A hot trail modded bike will run with any of the stock manufactured bikes. Hope this helps,Bubba

Old 10-19-2002, 11:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default HPD MODS

How long would it take you to do a trail porting on the 250 jug?How long will it take before i get it back.What performance will i notice with the trail porting?

Old 10-19-2002, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default HPD MODS

I have the Bad Boyz reedcage conversion done on my 250 motor I used to have the HPD race porting done. It dose make a differnce on the motor but you have to get the whole works done too get the preformace Check with this website an I think you can get differnt porting then just the raceporting. The work I have done is very good he also dose 400 mods awell he has fast 400 an a fast 250 an dose make suspention paarts swing arms an a-arms. check him out dose good work http://www.users.qwest.net/~ddjshotwell/

Old 10-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default HPD MODS

you got the trail pipe,GO for the trail porting job and get new 12.1 billet head or have them redone for trail package,the pipe will worth every $.the wiseco piston will be a must then tough,v-force 2 and spacer with filtercharger really worth the money too with those mods together.
so after that if you want the whole kit you'll need just the pwk 39 and clutch kit,with some minor gearing changes there is a totally new bike.

Old 10-20-2002, 03:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default HPD MODS

Hey x scrambler I was told by hpd that you could not get the reed conversion kit done on any year under a 2000.They said it would hit the transmission and if you did the jetting would be hard becuse of the angle of the carb and the float level.How does yours run?Does he do good work?I would love to get this done to mine.I would like some feedback from you thanks sorry to be nosey.

Old 10-20-2002, 10:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HPD MODS

2 many toys, I have trail ported many 250's. The thing on those is you need to run good gas after porting them.Even on a trail ported machine, you need to mix a little better gas with some pump gas. HPD doesnt want to go in between on these motors. They figure go stock or bad to the bone. If you have the stock pipe, dont even think about porting the 250.It wont work good. But it will work with an aftermarket. I turn cylinders around in less than 3 working days, and it is much cheaper than other places. Bubba

Old 10-20-2002, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default HPD MODS

Mine run really good . The guy who did mine wasn't sure if it would rub or not he has do them to new ones then mine. When it was done it hit slightly on the trans but nothing big I just grided off a little spot on the trans it was a thick area on the top right at the seam next to the shifter. I have told him where it hit so he will fix it. He dose A nice juob on it too looks great. He uses banshee reed for it. It has a lot of lowend power now. It has run flawless never any problems with it. I use it for MX raceing so have ran it hard evertime I ride. I I can tell there is alot more power then when I had the HPD raceporting. The guy has good teck sapport yo will help you get it run the best he can over the phone. He lives in Arizona an dose alot of sand drags. He has his own TB with the conversion an a 400 on nitros an now his new one is on alcohal. You need a cyclender that is stock so he can match the porting. It $600 for machine work an then the cost of piston an reeds. send me a message at my e-mail address if you want to know how to get a hold of him. Othwise he has a website http://www.users.qwest.net/~ddjshotwell/
If looking for one on per 2000 TB give him a look.

Old 10-21-2002, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default HPD MODS

j7273
Hey, I've got a 99TB with HPD's reed conversion kit installed. The carb did hit
the corner of the trans case when I first installed it. Darrell offered to fix it for
me but I didn't want to wait so I fixed it myself. The problem was with the intake
manifold. It just needed to be cut with an angle on the face instead of it being
flat. This would tip the carb to a better angle. I still had to file on the trans case
just a little. My jetting was not spot-on when I first got it either. I had to change
my pilot jet to a larger one. Now it runs like a raped ape!
HPD's newest cataloge states that the reed kit will fit 1999-2002 model TB's.
I have not talked to anyone from HPD in awhile so maybe they had too many
problems with 99 model TB's but I'm glad that I have mine. It sure makes a
huge difference.