Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Looking for a better tire than the "P" tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2000, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a trail tire that grabs good on rocks on steep climbs and would like it to be heavy yes heavy...also would like a squared off one. The reason I would like to have some heavy ones I am trying to weigh the front of my sportsman down have a winch and bumper on the way but I think it will take a little bit more where I ride, I am having trouble with one wheel coming up on rocky steep hills. I like the titans on the AC 500 wondering if you guys think there is any better which I have described if not will probably get a set of Titans either the 489 or 589 but I was really looking for some heavy ones, also do you think it would hurt to change the tire size in the front to the same size in the back...just seems it would make more sense when going down steep hills to have the same size up front as back. I know the "P" tires may be great for mud but they are not much for climbing hard pack or rock and they seem a little balloony and swayee...

Old 04-03-2000, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

I bought a set of Mudmachine tri-claws and bi-claws, amd believe me, these dudes are heavy! The tread is very deep and thick, and the 27" tri-claw magnums are like caterpillar tracks. After going thru mud and speeding up, so much mud gets thrown ahead of you, you HAVE to wear goggles. Gotta get that set of homemade mudguard extenders on pronto.

Old 04-03-2000, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Hey atving you really should check out the godyear mudrunners they are heavy and they are realy square faced and there not that expensive you can get them in 26 " or 25 " LoL

Old 04-03-2000, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

so do you think they are a good tread for rocks and hard pack if so i may have found what i am looking for especially if they are heavy...what did you mean about lol on the good years or was you talking about the same ones i got.hehehe seriously thanks for the info fellows.

Old 04-03-2000, 04:23 AM
Pro Rider

You will have to stay with the smaller tires infront. Polaris has designed their system to work that way. If you put the same size tires on the front you will throw your AWD out of wack and when in FWD the front will be pulling harder then the rear which will make it harder to steer and very hard on front end parts.
I like the look of the Titan 589's, they would be my choice.

Jeff

Old 04-03-2000, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

BigRed450 I appreciate the answer but you are 100% wrong, I contacted my dealer and he told me there would be no problem with what size tire I wanted to go to, he even told me to check the size where they put the lifts on the bikes and look what size tires they use, he also suggested which he runs on his own machine is the set of tires that comes with the rims from Polaris and they are a lot wider than the stock tires from Polaris. I don't know where you got this info but it is definetly wrong...

Old 04-03-2000, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry Chum!
When you said "same size tire as the back" I thought you meant the tire height. Width would not make any difference in gear ratio. My mistake.
Jeff

Old 04-05-2000, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

PS Not 100% wrong. Check your other posts!

C-YA

Old 04-05-2000, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Well Bigred maybe not 100% wrong and I didn't mean it in a smart way...you are one of the guys on here that I take a lot of credit on from there post. I would like to see what that big red machine with those lockers on it would do, if it only had a 2 to 4 wd switch to help with the steering. I could do without the water cooling and disc brakes...I really like Hondas product.

Old 04-05-2000, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks ATVing
So far I haven't felt the need for the 2-4wd switch and as far as the locker, well I'm still debating on that one, I have heard good and bad. I think I'll do tires first like I had mentioned before if anything. All-terrain type tires, either Titan 589's or Blackwaters.
Problem is that everyone I ride with has a stock machine, and the only one that will follow me, where ever I go, is my chum with his Sportsman. He may be able to go where I can't, but he won't go anywhere that I don't go first.
You see, I don't want to be looking over my shoulder all the time, worrying about who's going to make it up this hill or through that hole and who isn't. These are my friends, most of them from town and most with limited riding time and experience. I don't want to jeapordize their safety by them trying to follow me somewhere that they or their machine isn't capable of. If I lock, lift, and tire the Foreman I'll end up waiting all the time for them or pulling them out of the mud or worse still, loosing track of the capabilities of the stock machine. So for now we'll stay stock and just have fun until I find riding partners who are capable and want to bring there machines to the upper edge.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Looking for a better tire than the "P" tire