Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Billet Head

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billet Head

I have a 01 scrambler 400 with HSP speed kit. I am going to add a new reed and spacer and a billet head. I liked dealing with HSP but Rob does not work their anymore. I checked into the HPD billet head and like the way it looks and the fact it has the O-ring gasket. I dont wont to have to re clutch. And would like to keep my pipe. Is the Head and reed ok with out new clutching. Also does porting affect the clutching. Any info would be great. Iam trying to chase down a Rappy and a DS

Old 11-11-2002, 10:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Billet Head

My wife's 01 scrammy has the HPD trail pipe, clutching and some boyensen reeds.When I added the pump gas cool head from HPD, I could notice an immediate difference. Now when you think that helps, it's not over. When I trail ported it, the power was really turned on. It will outrun the new z-400 Suzuki, and she can trail ride it all day long in the mountains. That's with the stock carb. When you port it (I do those cheap) buy the 39mm PWK carb. That also makes a huge difference. Hope this helps,Bubba

Old 11-11-2002, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Billet Head

Thanks for the info Bubba. So if I go with the billet head and reeds and do the trail port I wont have to change the clutching. And as far as the porting what is the diff. on trail and race porting. And you perfer the 39 carb over the 42.

Old 11-12-2002, 12:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Billet Head

Bigger on the carb is not always better. Flow through a bigger carb gets slowed down and the signal drops. A race only setup that engages real high and turns on the rpms can use a big carb. For all other instances, it is better to stick with the smaller one to get better response and torque. I run the 39 on my race wheeler as well. If you dont run a race pipe and clutching, I wouldnt spend the extra on race porting. You do lose a little long term reliability with it, and it is designed for higher rpm power. Not really a benefit for you. The trail port will make as much difference as putting on your pipe did. As far as the clutching, you dont have to change anything, but with the added power you should go heavier on the primary weights and a possible spring change as well. When you make more power, you can load the motor faster and harder and it will take it. That increases acceleration and the fun factor such as wheelies. Give me the specs on the weights and the engagement load and full shift load on the primary spring, and I can help you if you want to change it. Hope this helps,Bubba

Old 11-13-2002, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Billet Head

Bubba I am going to order the billet head in the next 2 weeks. What would I need to do for you to be able to port my motor. And what is the turn around. Thanks again for all your help

Old 11-13-2002, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Billet Head

What compression ratio are you going to use? If its 12:1 then you are better off just having Ritter mill your stock head. It only costs $50.00

Old 11-13-2002, 11:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Billet Head

HSP400, I agree. if you want to run pump gas, send the stocker to Rick Ritter and have it machined. Install one of the inline water coolers for about $30, put some water wetter in it, and no cooling problems at all even in the hottest weather. I just happened to have one of the head assemblies, so I put it on my wife's wheeler. Rick does a grat job, and that would save you enough to get the porting done[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] E-mail me at ramseydb@***-internet.com when your ready or if you have questions, and we'll get after it. Bubba