Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Well after careful reading I have decided to sell my sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2000, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After careful reading fellows I have come to this conclusion read this and see if you don't agree with me:
Well thank goodness I am sure that everybody will be happy to know that I finally realized 3 wheels pull better than four, I have already let all my friends that I know who own jeeps that put lockers on them that they don't pull better than a limited slip...boy I will bet this article will kill sights like highlifter that sell lockers for Hondas. And what hurts the most is all those jeeps and trucks that bought locker kits so there 4 wheel drive setup would be similar to the Polaris setup that go around limited slips stuck in the mud. I always knew it was something else besides those lockers that made them pull so good...And all this time I was thinking those heavy jeeps and trucks with those lockers were pressing down the tires in the mud and because of the heavy weight on the wheels they couldn't spin and because the wheels were locked in they would either have to pull or spin boy isn't that so rediculous, I am sure now that a light vehicle with limited slip could spin all over the place while the tires rotated back and forth would do better. Well I am sure glad someone has cleared this up for me. Ahhh must have been my imagination that volkswagens and front wheel drive cars with all that weight down on the axle pull great in snow. Well boys I have not gotten so big for my pants to admit when I am wrong just glad somebody finally cleared this up for me. Speaking of clear can you see to the bottom that waterhole I just went through with my sportsman.

Man I have learned all kinds of stuff on these forums in the past few weeks, So I have come to the conclusion that my sportsman is only good for the pavement. Guess I want be needed that TRUE 4 WHEEL DRIVE ANYMORE that I could have sworn went through the mud because of its almost foot clearance and its heavy weight that pressed it down in the mud and gave it great traction because if it would have been light with 2 wheel drive or 3 wheel drive limited slip and about 6 inches off the ground...well I just figgered in deep mud the lower clearance would have bottemed out. Oh well live and learn, guess you learn something new every day.

And this where Polaris really ripped me off I secretly knew all the time I didn't even need that low gear, they just put that fancy transmission on there to charge me more money. I always knew deep down it would be better to go into a mud hole in high gear instead of low gear where I could have used it to put more torque on my wheels. Man I have turned over to a new way of thinking the ultimate mud machine would be super light 2 wheel or 3 wheel drive w/ limited slip, I can't wait to get out there and strip that sportsman down in the morning to make it lighter, disengage one of the front wheels and now I don't care if the low gear tears up on the sportsman cause I will just be using high gear for all my mudding...I am so excited I just can't wait.

Well now wait a minute I better rethink that last thought since I do have low gear man I hope it doesn't go out now cause come to think about it all the people I saw doing good in the mud and them dang burn jeeps with them usless lockers with the automatic transmission were putting them down in low gear...wait wait lets see I think its coming to me what I saw on that sophisticated shift I think it was drive then second then low. And you know come to think of it people always told me to put it down in low gear when I was pulling in something slick...ahhh you can't believe people though with them heavy jeeps with lockers on them...shucks they were stupid enough to buy lockers so all 4 wheels would pull kinda figgers they would stick them down in low those stupid idiots.

And all these stupid features that I got with the bike...I tell you it turns my stomach to think about it, all that worthless stuff they stuck on my sportsman like water cooling, disc brakes, 2 to 4 wheel drive shifting, on demand 4 wheel drive, true 4 wheel drive pulling power and that dad burn Independant rear suspension that keeps going up and down every time I hit a bad bump in the road. If I had only read these post a couple of months ago dag on it I could have saved myself a lot of money...Lets see I could have got me some kind of engine probably a lawn mower engine mounted it on a light frame, oh no no no wait wait wait I know what I could have done found me an old riding lawn mower took the blade attachment off, I'm not going to be cutting very much grass in the mud silly. Kept the original tires on man this would have been perfect. It already sits pretty close to the ground and maybe and I say just maybe I could find one that somebody had stripped the lower gear in it cause all I am going to be needing is high gear. Now it want need water cooling cause I don't care how hot it gets and how much horsepower I lose because of the heat because I am out to build the perfect mudder..it would have to be nice and light, so that man when I pin that thing in high gear with those 2 wheels a spinning close to the ground there will be no mud hole to big for me to cross. And you know those lawnmowers haven't been changed for decades so I want have to worry bout any fancy stuff being on them. Now for anybody reading this, this is my idea and don't even think on stealing, now you might say but sportsman500 some bike companys are already building atv's like you described...oh well I guess your right now I that I have thought about it I guess they are. Oh well I guess I will just keep my sportsman, I always thought it went through the mud pretty good and I was really sure it always pulled out those other atv's that were stuck in the mud...Ahhh I guess they just acted like they were stuck, they were just feeling sorry for me after I spent all this money on this bike that is suppose to be king of the mud...HEY POLARIS I WANT MY MONEY BACK...I am going to go out and buy me an ATV like that lawnmower I was talking about...now if I can only decide which one to buy...Man I wish I would have read some of these posts months ago.

Old 04-06-2000, 01:17 PM
GJ
Range Rover

Your a cruel man!

:-)

GJ

Old 04-06-2000, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

atving,

Reading the forum for a while now I see where your comments are coming from. We have to remember some things:

1. The forum members come from every corner. Rich and poor, educated and not, young (some very young) and old, mechanically inclined and not, etc etc.

2. Everyone has their opinion, right or wrong.

3. Tackling challenging terrain has a lot to do with the machine and its features, but I would say equally as much to do with the skill level of the driver. I have seen 2wd machines tackle mud that 4wd machine got stuck in. The driver on the 4wd was an idiot - it wasn't the machines fault.

I guess my point is there are a lot of good machines of every brand. They all have their good points and their shortcomings. They all need maintenance and repair. They all need a competent driver!

Don't let the petty arguements eat at you!. Qualify the information you get based on who is giving it to you and decide for yourself if they have any idea what they are talking about.

The forum can be very useful for us in getting tips and help when required. It is useful in letting us know what other ATVers are doing and how they are modifying their machines. It gives us some insight into other's riding areas that we will never see (thanks to all those who post pictures, they are great!)

DJ

Old 04-06-2000, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

that is a work of art.

Old 04-06-2000, 02:48 PM
Range Rover

ENCORE,ENCORE!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2000, 03:10 PM
Range Rover

Hilarious! Tongue in cheek, laughing all the way through!!!

Thanks for entertaining!!

Rich

Old 04-06-2000, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah they almost had me convinced to sell my worthless Sportsman too, its supposed to be a big piece of junk and hard to maintain,but I like it so I will keep it. I figure Im a good enough rider to keep up with the Grizzlys,Foremans,Ranchers,and any of the other Utility Atvs you can think of except maybe the Xpoler man those things are fast.

Old 04-06-2000, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, convinced me too. Rancher here I come!!

No more automatics with Demand Drive for me.

"The controversy continues...."

Old 04-06-2000, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer

Gee, don't I feel like an idiot now? I just bought 2 Sportsmen!

Old 04-06-2000, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

After a diatribe like that, I "know" you belong on a Honda anyway.

Quick Reply: Well after careful reading I have decided to sell my sportsman