Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

whats the deal with people bad mouthing polaris?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 12:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the deal with people bad mouthing polaris?

Wow, logic, reasoning, and level headed comments (both for and against) pretty cool[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ken

Old 12-18-2002, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

Chawness
They are Pitbull pulling tires, 26x12x12, they are really about 31" high, just like truck pulling tires only for mini mods.

Old 12-18-2002, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris has earned some of their reputation. The Scrambler has been out for almost 10 years and they have just recently fixed problems like the useless chain guard, weak tie-rods, cheap steering stem, cheap transmission mounts and poor brakes. If they would build it right the first time or fix the problems as soon as they surface, they wouldn't have the reputation they do. If the Predator holds up, it will go a long way towards changing people's perception of Polaris.

Old 12-18-2002, 01:05 PM
RIP Dear Friend

This is a good thread.

I have owned all the major brands: Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki.

I purchase what I want for my perceived needs at that time.

I try to keep my machines maintained and have little problems. When I do have a problem its usually of my making and not of the machines.

In our area there is two Polaris dealers and they seem to sell all the Polaris's that are shipped in.

If I ever need a full automatic quad I will check Polaris out.

Chet

Old 12-18-2002, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Kevin,

I know what you mean...Polaris isn't the only one though.

The Banshee has been around a lot longer than the Scrambler and they still can't make the stupid kick start work without locking up. They just barely did something to the crappy airbox, though I haven't seen a new one to see what was actually done. Blasters have had break problems since they came out, and that just got fixed, and my buddies Warrior almost shakes itself to pieces.

The good news now is that the quad market is picking up, so the manufactures can't rely on releasing the same quad year after year without any updates. There is too much good stuff out there.

-Josh

Old 12-18-2002, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

Well Iv'e seen good and bad in Polaris. My father had a 335 that gave him constant problems. I was not impressed with Polaris's warranty or there help with it either. However he did not give up on Polaris. He sold that machine and bought two 500 H.O.'s He loves them and has had no problems. If you could see they way my younger brothers treat those machines you would be amazed, but they keep taking it and coming back for more. I didn't know that a Sportsman could take a 6ft drop from a jump and still come out of it fine. Granted the one machine needs new shocks now but it's still kicking. I went with a Polaris because of the type of riding I do and the Scramber fit all my needs. I have had little problem with it and really love to ride.

On the trails I see very few other quads, its almost all Polaris, at the dunes I see a lot of different ones, mostly sport quads so maybe this predator will finally make a mark.

It seems to me that most of the farmers around here are using the Hondas for work and the Polaris for play, I don't know if that means anything though.

Old 12-18-2002, 07:34 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 of the "old" Polaris and love them.Granted they take alot of maintanance but when I go to the trails it is great to see the faces of people when they hear the 2 stroke sound and then see a big old 4x4 wheelie.I have always said that Polaris is the Harley of atv s you got to like to work on them but that dont makem bad. I think the bad rap comes from the folks that dont take the time to maintane them properly. Any time anyone wants to ride let me know. Brad

Old 12-18-2002, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

I think the biggest problem Polaris had, was in their early days, they were just SO different, no one knew what to do with them.
I mean, seriously, go drive a 93 or 94 350L 4x4 and compare it with ANY 4x4 of any make of the same year. They were SOOOO different.

People were used to a machine that you changed oil in a couple times a year, and other wise just drove. Polaris needed frequent greasings, and the 3 chains needed adjustments & lubrication. When people treated them like their 'other' quad, they just didn't hold up. Keep in mind the 2 cycle engines were never designed to go 10 years without being touched like the 4 cycles of the day were. Any 4x4 of the same era, when compared to the Polaris was slow, low performing, rough riding, but maintanence free. People bought them for the performance, but failed to upkeep the maintanence.
I know a guy with an old 350 4x4. Greases it often, puts in a new piston every 5000 miles or so, and upkeeps the chain. Says it is the best quad he ever owned, and doesn't think he will ever wear it out completely.
Another guy down the road a ways, has one that he never greases, only adjusts the chains when they start to jump the sprockets, and ignores the funny noises until something breaks. He thinks his Polaris is a POS.
In a way they are both right.

I think Polaris has made great strides to make their quads more 'idiot proof' lately, and that has a lot to do with their increased reliability. Shaft drive, permanently lubed bushings, a roller secondary, and an improved belt all go a long ways to cutting the maintanence required.

Old 12-18-2002, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Farmr123
I think the biggest problem Polaris had, was in their early days, they were just SO different, no one knew what to do with them.
I mean, seriously, go drive a 93 or 94 350L 4x4 and compare it with ANY 4x4 of any make of the same year. They were SOOOO different.

People were used to a machine that you changed oil in a couple times a year, and other wise just drove. Polaris needed frequent greasings, and the 3 chains needed adjustments & lubrication. When people treated them like their 'other' quad, they just didn't hold up. Keep in mind the 2 cycle engines were never designed to go 10 years without being touched like the 4 cycles of the day were. Any 4x4 of the same era, when compared to the Polaris was slow, low performing, rough riding, but maintanence free. People bought them for the performance, but failed to upkeep the maintanence.
I know a guy with an old 350 4x4. Greases it often, puts in a new piston every 5000 miles or so, and upkeeps the chain. Says it is the best quad he ever owned, and doesn't think he will ever wear it out completely.
Another guy down the road a ways, has one that he never greases, only adjusts the chains when they start to jump the sprockets, and ignores the funny noises until something breaks. He thinks his Polaris is a POS.
In a way they are both right.

I think Polaris has made great strides to make their quads more 'idiot proof' lately, and that has a lot to do with their increased reliability. Shaft drive, permanently lubed bushings, a roller secondary, and an improved belt all go a long ways to cutting the maintanence required.

Exactly!!! I agree 110%

Old 12-19-2002, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the great comments. This is how these forumns are meant to be used!

Quick Reply: whats the deal with people bad mouthing polaris?