Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator problems?

Hey all

Im thinkn bout buyin a Predator. For you guys that have one already...what kinda problems are ya have'n with em? Are they as reliable as a Yamaha? Ive had blasters since 87 i havent worked on one bit...and a Z-400 thats a dream to ride. I already know about the performance...I want to know about the dependability and service issues (if any). Thanks in advance!

Joe

Old 12-27-2002, 03:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont believe anyone can answer that in full just yet. I always like to wait throught the first year before buying anything to let them work the bugs out. The Pred just havent been out long enough in my opinion.Bubba

Old 12-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

Just a few things from observation from my friends owning them, and myself being their mechanic. My friend flipped his this weekend. The handlebars bent nicely, and the front plastic broke the mounting fork that is molded into the plastic. For those that own Predators, this is the mount on the side of the gas tank. Also if you dont mind TORX and Americn sized bolts, that is another thing that is more annoying than it being a problem. Other htan hat its a fun bike. I took it out the other day in the snow, and while the Banshee was just spinning, the more linear power curve of the Predaor made it controllable in the snow.

Old 12-27-2002, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

so what did he have to do buy a new gas tank? How were the prices? How bad did he get hurt?

Old 12-27-2002, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

He' s fine. He was actually going to help out my other friend that also owns a new Predator. The bars are wasted after on tumble (as with most OEM bars), and we either have to rig up a way to re-mount it to the tank or buy a new front fender. Th tab that broke off is mounted on the front fender. All the tank has is a exposed screw that recieves the "fork", which is mounted on the fender.

Old 12-27-2002, 05:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Even though mine will soon be switched over to titanium, the torx fasteners are actually much better when it comes to "strip proof" operation and longevity. Run on over to the local Sears store, unless you don't mind using the supplied torx tools in the tool kit. Get some wear and tare, add some dirt, and you'll be thankful they used those screws. As for the bars, that's one thing I wish Polaris would've supplied the Predator with aluminum units. Less likely to bend, and the can absorb a little more vibration. Could've been a cost factor, but nice, instant weight savings.

Ken

Old 12-27-2002, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Old 12-27-2002, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

The handlebars they used is what puzzles me. They use a Regina gold chain. They use Fox shocks around. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there are Gates hoses, not some cheap chineese/taiwanese jobs. Then, they go and make bars out of the thinnest walled tubing they can find. Cheesier than the stock Honda ones off my CRF. I personally think its a well made/designed/tested quad. Im sure any succesfull company wouldn't realese a item without thorough devolopment before the realease of it. My friends were pretty skeptical about buying a Polaris, and then on top of that a first year/first performance quad. Just the fact that you can get a 4 year warranty lead me to a few conclusions: 1. If its a piece of crap, why would they offer a warranty? Did they do this to fix manufacturing/design flaws (Unlikely....How would a reputable business' say in business this way?) 2. Added the warranty to maybe make the machine more appealing to a prospective buyer? I don't think any of the Japanese manufacturers offer any type of warrany on a sport/race bike other than a "tail light" guarantee.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone has different preferences with the bars so I think it was wise not to put some high dollar ape hangars on it that will get changed out anyway. As far as the warranty, my thinking is if they offer a 4yr for 4 to 5 hundred dollars they must be pretty confident in the reliability. They most likely will make a chunk of change from the unused warranties purchased, but it gives the nervous customer a sense of security. If you plan on doing mods I would check to see if that voids the warranty, I would think it would depending on the circumstance.

Old 12-27-2002, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

When I bought my Predator here in Canada, they asked me if I wanted the extra warranty.

But when I got asking alot of questions and about the fine print, I was told that

"RACING OF ANY KIND VOIDS THE WARRANTY ON THE PREDATOR"

The 6 months or 5 years whatever you have, It's over.

So, don't **** off the neighbors. Alittle video tape or picture of you and your buddy draging or playing around on a track with your Predator will void your warranty.

P.S.
Noticed my starter button is/will stick, from going through mud and getting it dirty. Might want to keep an eye on yours to keep from burning up your starter.

Quick Reply: Predator problems?