Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rath's Predator in DW Mag.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rath's Predator in DW Mag.

I HAVE NOT HAD ANY TROUBLE GETTING TOUCH WITH DARYL, IF HE IS NOT OUT OF TOWN RACING HE DOES ANSWER THE PHONE. HE ALSO NEVER CLAIMED TO HAVE REINVENTED THE WHEEL, JUST SOME MINOR MODS THEY FOUND TO INCREASE REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER ON THE DYNO, SOMETHING ALL OF US DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO. NOT ALL MODS WORK ON ALL ATV;S, SOME DO SOME DON;T. DARYL HAS TOLD ME MANY THINGS THAT WORKED AND THINGS THAT DIDN'T. HE DOES MANUFACTOR SOME UPGRADED BILLET PRODUCTS FOR THE PREDATOR. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE SALES A SIMULAR PRODUCT DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN IT IS THE SAME QUALITY. IF IT IS THEN BUY IT. DARYL HAS HELPED ME OUT ALOT GETTING MY PREDATOR DIALED IN, EVEN SUGGESTING PARTS THAT HE SALES, BUT GAVE ME THE PART NUMBERS TO PICK UP AT MY LOCAL SHOP. I THINK IT'S GREAT HE IS WILLING TO HELP, HE COULD KEEP HIS DYNO INFO TO HIS SELF AND LET US TRY AND FIGURE IT OUT OWN OUR OWN. NOW THAT GET'S EXPENSIVE. SO CUT HIM SOME SLACK, HE HAS NEVER CHARGED ME A PENNY AND GIVE A HONEST ANSWER TO EVERY QUESTION. HE HAS SET MY PRED UP TO PERFECTION FOR THE MODS I HAVE AND THE TYPE OF RIDING I DO. I DRAG RACE MORE THAN I RIDE TIGHT TRAILS. THE SETUP IS DIFFERENT.

Old 01-15-2003, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Did anyone read the artical in DW about Rath and his Racing Predator? He goes on to talk about the 2x3 hole and velcro and outwears over the K&N's and etc.. then he says I don't run the air box lid!

If you don't run the air box lid how does the air get from the air box to the carb? The intake to the carb is attached to the lid. Maybe he run's a clamp on K&N and there for no lid and the air box with the 2x3 hole is there just to trick everyone else into think that's what he's using? Maybe DW screwed up also?

Even with the outerwear over the 2x3 hole I still don't see it as a great idea cause it's sucking exhaust gases in. Carbonmonoxide instead of oxygen. Maybe if you always run a number plate like Rath it's better? I know if you ride way back on the seat down a dusty road your back is brown. Sit up closer to the tank and your alot cleaner. Same with a smokey bike or in the snow.

I think your better off with a clamp on K&N if your going to modify the intake. It's higher and closer to the front. When you remove the snorkle the air box inlet is pretty low and closer to the wheels and sand, dirt, water, snow etc...

Just my thoughts.

I like my predator very much and I'll thank anybody who had anything to do with building this great new quad.

Old 01-15-2003, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

RATH SAID THE PART ABOUT THE AIRBOX LID IS INACCURATE, HE DOES RUN THE AIRBOX LID. AND
HOW CAN YOU BE GETTING EXHAUST FUMES WITH THE WHITE BROTHERS PIPE, IT'S A GOOD 14" BEHIND THE 2X3 HOLE, AND THE GASES ARE EXITING TO THE REAR OF THE BOX. THE MAIN REASON FOR RUNNING THE AIR BOX HAS TO DO WITH KEEPING THE SNORKLE IN TACT THAT RUNS TO THE CARB. A K & N DIRECTLY ON THE CARB HAS TURBULENT AIR ENTERING THE CARB, THUS NOT GETTING AS GOOD OF MIXTURE AS THE TUBE RUNNING TO THE CARB, THIS TUBE STARTS OUT LARGE AND TAPERS DOWN TO THE CARB, AS AIR FOLLOWS THE TAPER AND GETS SMALLER IT INCREASE'S VELOCITY CREATING A RAM TYPE EFFECT. YOUR NOT TALKING ABOUT A MAJOR HORSEPOWER INCREASE, BUT ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL 1 OR 2 HORSEPOWER CAN MEAN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WINNING AND LOSING. BUT I AGREE ANYONE WILLING TO HELP DESERVES A THUMBS UP.

Old 01-15-2003, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

I realize that it's about 14 inches away from the end of the pipe but wind draft sucks the exhaust in back toward the bike.

I understand the velocity with the intake tube and how it works also, After I get my clamp on K&N I'm going to build around it alittle to help keep out water and dirt and at the same time make up some for lost velocity, I'll post pic's.

I have also seen four large holes of the same size, two drilled in the back of the air box and two into the cubby hole at the back of the seat which hoses run from to draw more air.

Old 01-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

I AM SURE SOMEONE WILL DESIGN A AIRBOX FOR THE PRED THAT WILL SOLVE THESE PROBLEMS. I WILL KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR PICS AND THE MOD. YOU MIGHT LOOK INTO THE PWC AIR SYSTEMS, I KNOW THEY MAKE SOME DIRECT BOLT ON FILTERS THAT HAVE AN ADAPTER THAT SMOOTHES OUT THE AIR AS IT ENTERS THE CARB, A HORN SHAPED MOUTH THAT TAPERS TO THE BORE OF THE CARB. IF YOU FIND SOMETHING KEEP US POSTED.

Old 01-15-2003, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

I will keep keep everyone posted and have pic's. I will also have dyno sheets plus riding thoughts and if there is or isn't a noticable power gain.

Old 01-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Standard 4" White PVC pipe fits perfectly over the clamp on air filter I show in the gallery pictures, with about .5" clearance between the filter and PVC pipe. I figured I'd carry a piece of pipe with an end cap around with me for washdown and clean-up time, but you could also mount the PVC up permanently and maybe drill some 1" holes in the PVC to make sure it fully flowed.

Just a FYI...

Old 01-15-2003, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

SP700RACER,
YOUR CAPS LOCK IS ON.

Old 01-15-2003, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

SP700, if you don't mind what are you running for a dragrace type setup? That's my type of racing also.

Denny

Old 01-16-2003, 03:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Rath has been getting machines ready for ice racing. Leave him a message, or try back later. Great person to get info/ideas from. He races what he builds, and through his personal experiences, he knows what works. A guy can't always stay in the shop.....GOTTA RIDE!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ken

Quick Reply: Rath's Predator in DW Mag.