Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Installing Handwarmers question????

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Handwarmers question????

I am trying to install Polaris handwarmers on my 03 400 Sportsman. I have the pod off. Now, the instructions say to plug the red/white jumper wire to the switch, then use any red/white wire (usually behind the ignition) to "plug" in the jumper wire. There are only 2 red/white wires. One goes to the speedometer, and 1(double) wire is attached to a the plugin that attaches to the ignition. I am unable to "unplug" it. If I cut the wire to the ignition, how will it get electricity??? The dealer said I just "plug" it in!!! Can someone advise me how to wire it? I really don't want to pay a $60/hour shop rate. The rest of the install is very simple. Thanks!!

Old 01-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

You can splice into any red/white wire. If your facing the quad with the hood open (not the pod), you will find 2 unused female spade connecters on the right hand side in the mess of wires there. One of them is a red/white and is meant for accessorie hookup. Just put a male spade connector on your hand warmer wire and plug it in. Just in case you don't know all brown wires are ground or you can use the frame as ground.

Old 01-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, if I splice into the wires from the ignition switch, do I just use 1 or both of them? (Both red/white wires go into the same harness.) I found the wires under the hood, but the wires that came with the handwarmers aren't long enough to use those.

Old 01-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Each hand warmer has 2 wires. 1 is ground and the other needs 12v. both grond wires need to be grounded and both power leads need 12v. I assume you are installing the high/off/low toggle switch and the resistor that comes with the kit. If you want more help, you need to be a little more specific as to your installation.

Old 01-02-2003, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

You do not need to cut any wires, you use the wires from your dc outlet on the pod. The wires that came with your hand warmer kit have piggy back connectors on them. You take the wires off the DC accesory outlet on your pod. You plug your hand warmer wires into the dc outlet and then the wires that were origianlly on the dc outlet plug (power wires) plug into the tails on the connectors ( the little tabs on the sides of each wire) It's very simple but hard to type it out, I just put the same kit on my Sportsman 2002, and the 2003 is the same wiring proceedure. Also make sure you didnt but the snomobile handwarmer kit. If you had to wrap the heating element around your handle bar and then out the grip over it, then you have the correct kit.

Old 01-02-2003, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info guys. We got them hooked up. Can't wait to try them out!!!