Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP600 oil filter #?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP600 oil filter #?

Does anyone have a cross-reference # for the oil filter? I was using Fram xtraguard's on my SP500, but I don't have any extras lying around to see if they'd fit the on the 600. Thanks!

Scott

Old 01-01-2003, 07:58 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

How does the 600 compare to the 500 you had? I am considering one in the Spring?

Old 01-02-2003, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer

Absolutely no comparison. I LOVED my SP500. I rode it very hard, but always maintained it way beyond the recommended intervals. It was a very reliable machine for me. I was starting to get bored with it though, I was wanting more speed. The only reason that I got rid of it is because I was working out a deal to buy 2 Magnums for my dad and father-in-law. Then I started getting the itch to maybe get the newest and best, and my trusty SP500 was starting to lose its luster. After a lot of research, the 600 seemed to be the best buy for the money to me.
I haven't had a chance to really open it up, but I can't believe how much more power and speed it has over my 500. There have been a number of times on the trails that it has almost gotten away from me, and that is at half-throttle! (I just finished my break-in period) I don't remember the last time my 500 felt like it had more than I could use. I cut down 7 very big pine trees this past weekend in the Black hills, and pulled big huge piles of branches over to the slash pile with the 600. It didn't even hesitate. It would take my father in law and I both to pull these branches over to a pile, and we had 10-15 of these branches tied up behind the 600 that I would pull through the woods. At one point I swung the pile wide and wrapped the tow strap around a tree, and the 600 just about flipped over on me. Instead of the engine bogging down, or the tires spinning in the dirt, the front end came right up. I can't imagine what I would ever need more low-end torque for. (And I pulled my 2000 Ford F250 Crew Cab out of a muddy ditch one time with my SP500, so that thing wasn't short on torque either)
I absolutely love the winch mount within the bumper. If you want to squeeze a new warn 3.0 in there, email me and I'll explain how I was able to make it fit. There are alot of design changes on the 600 that are huge improvements over my 500. The snow blade mount is great, now all I need is some snow to test it out on. I love the tow hook on the front end. Oil dipstick location is much better. Battery location is much better. I like the maintence reminder on the odometer. I wish the odometer went up to 75mph instead of 60, because I'm told it will easily go 70+. The brake cables are braided and much stronger than my 500.
I'm not sold yet on the choke, it seems to be extremely touchy on a cold morning. You have to have that thing in just the absolutely correct position. I never had a problem with my 2 position choke on the 500. I wish the 600 was able to have a recoil backup, but because of the higher compression, you wouldn't have been able to pull it anyways.
The single front 4x4 hub is a enourmous improvement over the 2-hub design of my 500. Every 200 miles or so one hub would stick, and I'd have to switch out the hub oil to get it working correctly again. It caused me to roll my atv off my truck loading ramps twice when one wheel would stick as I was backing into my truck bed.
It does have alot of vibration in the handlebars though. I haven't had the chance to ride it for a full day yet, but I'd be willing to bet that my arms and hands will quite possibly go numb after a few hours. I found myself taking my hands off the handlebars when it was idling this weekend.
I have no idea how a 500HO compares to the 600 Twin, I've never driven a HO. But I do know that it is a vast improvement over my 500, which I was very happy with. I'm a little nervous driving a first-model year engine, but I'm hoping Polaris learned alot last year on the 700 twin. Every model has it's quirks and problems. Forums like this allow you to learn what they are so you can get them fixed right away.
Hope this helps................