Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator-Raptor-Z-400 Shootout Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 06:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator-Raptor-Z-400 Shootout Results

jscyoung,

I think that the fact that the Z-400 is still competative in this shootout speaks for itself. The motor is nicely tuned for a 400 class stock machine. Granted they couldn't have tuned it within an inch of it's life because other people besides pros will ride it (not to mention they don't want people to have to rebuild it after every 3-4 rides). The Predator is in a much better state of tune than the Raptor is. Dual over head cams pump out a lot more power than a single. Probably the only difference between the two is weight. The Polaris weighs a good 30 lbs over the Raptor and that weight will make it slower than a lighter machine. Raptor owners also know that their machine is in a very mild state of tune too. Just look at what adding a pipe and jet kit does to the Raptor.

Old 01-13-2003, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

Mike Chero

The Predator only weighs 17lbs more then the Raptor. Predator is 415lbs and the Raptor at 398lbs. But most of that is in the tires of the Predator. I weighed them and weighed the ones on a Z-400 which are the same on the Raptor. The rear tires weighed 8lbs more and the fronts were 5lbs more. So just in the tires theres 13lbs. Then you consider the Predator is wider and has a longer wheel base, that should make up the extra 4 lbs. And I think it's great that a 400 is right there with the others, my brother has one and loves it. But for only $300 more, in my opinion, you get more with the Predator. Also, it's allready been shown that putting a pipe and air box mod on the Predator will give between 7-9 more HP, so there are things we can do to the Predator to keep up with the Raptor, except we don't have to spend anything on suspension mods.

Old 01-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for fast trail riding which is what I do... the Raptor is the best....

for trails..... narrow is good..... and the soft suspension is good.... and the bolt-on potential is even better!

reverse is also another good thing in the trails...

I bought an '00 400EX for $3,800 back in '01.... haven't spent a dime on it yet... I mostly ride with 4x4's.... as you can guess I have the most fun on the trails.... I can do any hill climbs they can do..... just have to learn to straddle the ruts..... and the mud... well, I just have to blast through it and not be afraid to get dirty.... but when there are jumps, off camber situations, wide-open spaces, etc... well that's where I have my fun.... I leave the 400 set up soft.... for comfyness..... it's all stock for quietness.....
besides... I could go spend $400 on a full pipe system, air filter, and jet kit.... for what... just to keep up with a stock Z out in the open???

if I had to buy a new quad.... it would probably be the Raptor, because of it's bolt-on potential, and soft ride..... If I felt it didn't handle well enough for me, then I might throw on some wheel spacers..... but that's it... besides the K&N jet kit and MBRP exhaust

Old 01-13-2003, 04:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

For trails, narrow is good....but a high center of gravity is not. To find the fine balance is where you gain the best performance. Application of powerband is also a factor. I've had some seat time now, and I can tell you the omission of the reverse faded away fast. The Predator has a tight turning radius, and I no longer miss the "R" feature.

Ken

Old 01-13-2003, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

GE 4X4,

Whoops, my bad I don't know what I was thinking of. Probably the old (pre concentric drive) Sport. For some reason the number 432 sticks in my head. Maybe I should play it as the daily number in the lottery.

The $300 more is assuming that most people pay list price for the Z-400. When I bought my 400EX, they (Z-400s) were going for $4999. I guarentee that you will pay list price for the Predator, though.

Old 01-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Range Rover

List price for the predator?? I didn't pay that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by: Mike Chero
GE 4X4,

I guarentee that you will pay list price for the Predator, though.

Old 01-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

I actually paid $5765 for the Predator OTD. But for most, they will pay list or more. But just like the Z, soon you will be able to buy the Pred under list.

Old 01-13-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

I myself think that this is another bias shootout,(see DWs dune shootout) i have never seen a test on wheelies in any other shootout and i think that put the predator at a disadvantage.Also on the dunes, put on some paddle tires, thats why polaris has optional paddles for the predator.Im not sure what happened on the drag against the raptor either, wierd, I know the horsepower difference might not
nessacarily mean top end is better but it must help.ive ridden a raptor and they love to catch clouds off the line, wich should slow you down, but it is very close.Also they only had 1 time for the drag race, they should have raced them several times.NOT JUST ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Of course it is bias, whenever it is a matter of opinion it will be bias. The writers will pick what they like in a machine and that may or may not be what you or I like in a machine!

As far as the dune results, you run what you brung of course you can change tires but then they would not be stock they tested the machines stock. They don't say the Predator was terrible in the dunes they said with the stock tires it had on it was not as good.

When they refer to wheelies they are talking about lofting the front end, you may not find that beneficial, I do, often times while riding trails you need to lift the front end up, Can the Predator do this? I'm sure it can they just felt the others did it a little better! There were other parts of the story that i did not include that determined the eventual winner. Fit and finish went to the Japanese Quads. They were not impressed with the fact the Predator uses Metric, SAE and Torx all on the same machine. When polaris was asked about this their comments were 95% of the owners never work on there own quads anyway!

They also said the LTZ 400 was consistently 3 or 4 lengths back so I would assume they made several runs and probably took the best time for each machine.

Nocando

Old 01-14-2003, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

I read in a magazine about a year ago that Yamaha made some changes to the 02 raptor that added 6 pounds to it. There website doesn't show this but they supposedly made some parts out of stronger material to build up durability. It was a while ago but if it's true and the Raptor wieghs 404 we are down to 11 pounds difference between the two. I'm not a huge displacement fan but for you hp maniacs the Raptor is going to be tough to beat for potential with 660cc's and it's other engine specs. Same for the DS with 650cc's the potential for hp is unreal. Did anyone else see the article about the Raptor's wieght increase?

Quick Reply: Predator-Raptor-Z-400 Shootout Results