Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Twist throttle on Predator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist throttle on Predator?

Has any one done this yet? I heard the DS650 has the same carb. Maybe the MP twist for that machine might work? Any info would be great :~)

Old 01-16-2003, 04:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Use to have one on the race mod....my opinion, don't do it. The machine is now sporting the HPD billet thumb throttle.

Ken

Old 01-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

I'm wondering about aftermarket throttles too...........I like the feel of the stock one as you can almost 1/2 palm it easily at the end of a long ride, but I still need to dig into the schematics of the Predator to see what to do with the throttle over-rev limiter/kill switch that Polaris added to our thumb control.......

Is this normal for Polaris to add to the throttle housing, and how do you over-ride it if needed?

I've got a twist throttle on the 404 banshee, and to say the least it can be tragic to your health if you grab a hand-full of throttle when its not wanted........

Old 01-16-2003, 03:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I'd have to double check the schematics, but I think on the Sports we were just disconnecting the wiring. Normally open circuit as I recall, I could be wrong. When I get time, I'll check the manual.

Ken

Old 01-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

heapster rath told me to just disconnect one of the two wires that are in the throttle housing and keep my cable lubed should have no problems if you want to override the switch.................

Old 01-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

I'd still like to know more on how this "stuck wide open throttle over-ride system works"..........

There has to be another component, whether the CDI, or other "black box, (maybe something like a banshee TORS system) that is connected to the carb or other device that automatically signals the CDI to retard spark or be like the rev limiter and shut things down if it detects an long term duration of extended open throttle condition.

It could be as simple as the CDI and engine is running at say: 6000 rpm, yet detects that the thumb throttle is at an idle setting. So it'll shut down the motor. This is the only condition I can think of.....can anyone else share insight on how these Polaris systems work?

Not much of a protection scheme if you ask me, but I'm interested in all the details.

I'm still trying to figure out the 42mm BSR carb, where you have a different slide valve for the main jet needle (vacuum or mechanical throttle cam controlled?), as well as a separate butterfly valve that is physically managed and controlled by the throttle cable.

Curious engineers say hmmmmmmmmm.

Shed some light anyone? Or should we be asking the Bomb crowd as they're more familiar with the carb we share?

Old 01-16-2003, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Heapster- Your CD is in the mail.

I just had a quick look at mine and normaly its an open circuit there's two wires Black and Brown both run to the ignition switch, both of these wires also have a common wire that also run's out to the tether switch which is also a open circuit. From the tether switch out one is ground the other run's to the kill switch on the left handle bar, from there it's runs to the CDI as a black wire.

Theres 12 pages on the carb and fuel system which is well detailed in the service manual. Vaccum controlled.