Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

+6" Wider Front end Predator!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +6" Wider Front end Predator!

oh my oh my oh my...........

I'm speechless..........I just got back from a quick tuning blast on the Pred while running a +3" rim offset on each side of the front suspension on my TL predator.

50" is new total outer rim to rim spacing, 44" is stock.......

Tires were 23" XCT holeshots. Ran Stock Predator rear tires, 14/38 gearing.

Let me try and put it into words...........

Nope can't do it.

I'm speechless......

<BIG GRINS>

Old 01-17-2003, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Just wondering, but did you use "Wheel Spacers" or off set rims?

Old 01-17-2003, 07:32 AM
Range Rover

WIDER is BETTER. Just watch out for that tree, rock, stump, ditch, hole, wheel well,......

Old 01-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Heapster
oh my oh my oh my...........I'm speechless..........I just got back from a quick tuning blast on the Pred while running a +3" rim offset on each side of the front suspension on my TL predator.50" is new total outer rim to rim spacing, 44" is stock.......
44 is stock? I though the Predator was wider than that.....

Old 01-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

Stock is 47.5" wide.

Old 01-17-2003, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Heapster
oh my oh my oh my...........

50" is new total outer rim to rim spacing, 44" is stock.......

<BIG GRINS>

Heapster is RIGHT

Outer rim to rim is about 44" STOCK

The 47.5 is the overall width of the rear tires stock.

I'm ordering the +3" rims and new +.75" rear hubs with the smaller bolt pattern.

Old 01-17-2003, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Heh heh, "thanks" Adrian.....Nah, don't believe the guys who actually go out and measure the Predator IN THEIR garage.

I want to add pictures to my gallery of the new front end width...photos are soooooo much better than words or descriptions, (plus turns a lot of skeptical doubters into believers too)

Okay, So how did Heapster do it anyway to quickly and easily add 6" width?

Simple. I mounted up "flipped over" rims. I'd modified my old Yamaha Warrior rims long ago, where you have to re-locate the valve stem to the "other" side. The offset spacing of the inner hub gets you the +3" per rim.

Several things change by doing this, both good and bad.

PROS: awesome and incredible NASCAR type handling. You're on rails in the corners and it stays flat with even less body sway or lean. Well worth the mod IMHO. And much cheaper than $400-500 a-arms.

CONS: With the wider track width, you're going to hit more trail side logs, rocks, and it's really harder to fit the quad through tighter spots. The reason racers gain width with A-arms instead of simply flipping the rims, is that now with a +3" rim the moment arm is longer and the extra load is put into the spindle and wheel bearings. When, not if, you hit the trail-side log/rock, that impact force is transferred into the tie-rod and ends too, making it way easier to bend them. Over several years I went through 2-3 Cramaha tie rod ends and a tie rod too. Not too cheap to replace either!

I note the Predator has the same 1/4" diameter tie rod ends (hondas are almost 3/8-1/2"!), but the exposed thread length is much shorter than on my yamaha. So the Predator "should" take a hit more robustly.

Your suspension also has to soak up this extra load, as the tire is that much further out too.

I've only got a quick tuning ride on this new set-up, but will report back after this weekends ride with more facts, data, and of course some killer pictures in the gallery too.

Go out to my web-page if you want to see them mounted up on my Warrior. Get some old cheap rims, and try it yourself too!

Old 01-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

He was questioning the width of the Predator I told him how wide it was.......relax, we believe you.

Old 01-17-2003, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

I have the wide dune trackers off the raptor on my predator. My fromt end is like 50" also. I have noticed a little bump steer since I widened the front[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Its not bad but it is there. You have to nail a large rock at slow speeds to feel.
Like Heapster said, it is like its on rails in the corners. Actually I found the backend sliding out if I cornered to agressive! Still learning how to ride it to its potential.
turbo bobby

Old 01-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yup, I too agree that in hard cornering the back end tends to try and come around easier, (still very predictable tho') but with more suspension tuning like putting a bit more pre-load into the front shocks and after more riding time it should be fine.

It really does make it soooo much more stable and cornering is sweet bliss.

Quick Reply: +6" Wider Front end Predator!