Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Noisy Cooling Fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2000, 11:45 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I have a 98 sportsman 500 and when the cooling fan comes on it seems a bit on the noisy side. It makes a sound like the fan blade is hitting a wire or a twig. I have checked and the fan is not making contact with anything. Also, if I reach in and slowly rotate the fan with my finger it doesn't rotate exactly what I would call freely. It kind of feels like it has a magnetic catch in rotation.

I removed my winch to see if the fan would engage less and it does but the fan seems to come on alot more that other SP's I had ridden with.

Have any of you guys hade similar experiences with your fans.

Thanks
Arlan

Old 04-11-2000, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer

I wouldn't know I have never had my fan come on I don't even know if it works

Old 04-12-2000, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

The magnetic catch feeling you get when rotating the fan is normal. That is a function of the design of the motor.

The noise is likely something in there such as a stick ot twig. I know you said you checked it but check again. It is really hard to see in there. Maybe pull the fan to get a better look.

The motor could be going, it wouldn't be the first one. So far my '98 is OK. The fan runs reasonably often at slow speeds, idling, or hauling through muck. It is no different than your average water cooled motorcycle, big engine, tiny rad. It relies a lot on free flowing air to cool the rad, otherwise the fan kicks in.

Seems to run more often than others you have seen. They are controlled by a temp sensor in the rad. The temp sensor could be a little more sensitive than others.

Years of mud in the rad, and it doesn't take much, will reduce the cooling ability of the rad tremendously. Often the dirt is not readily visible, again due to the location of the rad. Take one of the side plastic covers off in one of the wheel wells. This will allow you to remove the fine screen in front of the rad. Pull you winch off again. Very thoroughly flush the rad with a garden hose and see what comes out.

Of course make sure the coolant is clean and topped up.

The fan is a very important piece of the cooling system on these machines. It is made to run as required. Be thankful it is working or worse things could happen.

I would bet on the mud theory.

DJ

Old 04-12-2000, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

Deej,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been mudding at all, mostly desert riding but I will check all of the things you mentioned. I,m going to Alaska this year and would hate to have my machine fail 20 miles from camp in bear country.

Thanks again
Arlan

Old 04-12-2000, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen one that the fan was barely hitting the shroud at the top and sounded like the fan going out. A little bending of the fan bracket took care of it.

Old 04-23-2000, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

to arlan
re: cooling fan noise i've had a couple machs in my shop with such a noise first thing make sure all 3-bolts @ nuts are tight that hold fan to bracket. next check fan blade attachment nut.last poss fan brg is bad.replace unit if so.the 3-bolts may appear tight but they are mounted in rubber bushing try a little more ten first.

polarman

Old 04-23-2000, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

to arlan
re: cooling fan noise i've had a couple machs in my shop with such a noise first thing make sure all 3-bolts @ nuts are tight that hold fan to bracket. next check fan blade attachment nut.last poss fan brg is bad.replace unit if so.the 3-bolts may appear tight but they are mounted in rubber bushing try a little more ten first.

polarman