Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

P650 or 600Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003 | 07:24 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default P650 or 600Sportsman

Hi guys I need your advice. Which one would you buy they are both the same price at my local dealer. I know the P650 is faster but I think the sportsman might be better overall. Give me your take. ($6600)

Old 01-29-2003 | 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

Speed wise their about the same. I like Polaris's "Park" feature and their inline shifting. The Polaris also has independent rear suspension. The Praire does look pretty cool though. I was at a dealer and he was telling me the differences. The only thing the Praire had superior was front wheel breaking. He said he could wheelie and then bring it down into a front wheelie? Wasn't sure with my experience I be doing that anytime soon?

Old 01-29-2003 | 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

ride them both, in a place that is representative of where you ride. I will agree that the Prairie has a great motor, but the seat position or ergonomics or whatever you want to call it was awkward for me. I wouldn't be comfortable on it on a long ride. Also the Polaris has plenty of power, and the IRS has such a superior ride. The biggest difference of all is the fact that the Sportsman has awesome ground clearance, and the Prairie has minimal ground clearance. As long as you don't need ground clearance, or you don't mind bashing the rearend on every little rock, buy the Kawasaki. At least it's better waterproofed than a Grizzly. Oh yeah, and the Sportsman comes with AWESOME tires stock.

Old 01-30-2003 | 04:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Chaff,
all my Sportsman buddies are out riding every chance they get.
all my Kawi650 buddies just leave 'em parked in their garage look'in pretty...and keep them dusted-off.

catch my drift?

Old 01-30-2003 | 10:13 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still not decided fully but leaning heavly toward the 600sp. Just because the suspension is better, and I also like the tires. Not to mention I'm not getting any younger-lol. Chaff.

Old 01-30-2003 | 11:18 AM
Range Rover

Check the forms out for any problematic reports. I doubt you will see very many regarding the Polaris 600 SP compared to the Kawi 650. I've been there done that, I now drive a Polaris I should have done that along time ago and saved my self a lot of headaches and money. On the Kawi form Lighting mention a Polaris belt problem I think he's referring to the Kawi belt problem and un ending appetite for belts @ 140.00 a crack. Ask about the front diff problems, the brakes that freeze on in cold weather be it in the cables or where the lever activates the rear break. Ask how many have broken black pastic, that shatters in cold weather. Finally ask Kawi about customer service on the corporate level. Don't be swayed by a great engine blah, blah blah, your buying a package not just a engine. If you buy the Kawi you'll have to get new tires and I would recommend rims as well, there's is aluminum and soft as butter. Before all you green die hards slam me for my opinion and observation save your breath. I'm stating the facts, mam ,just the facts. It utimately comes down to you and what you like the best. Enjoy what ever you get.

Old 01-30-2003 | 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

When I changed quads last Oct I was also down to the same choices as you. Some good advice has already been givin but the bottom line came down to sitting on and trying both machines. The suspension and seat comfort combined with the erogonomics and much better ground clearance made me purchase the 600. Afterall, if you'r not comfortable, you won't enjoy the ride as much. Other things such as the best OEM tires available, chrome rims, front and rear rack extenders are stock on the 600 (all the Kawa owners agree that the first thing they do is get rid of the patato skin tires they come with) Reports about too soft front suspension and regular squeeking belt and belt maintenance and shimming on the 650 also helped in my decision. All I can say is that I do not regret my decision today. Its awesome.

Old 01-30-2003 | 12:49 PM
Range Rover

From 2000 till the end of 02, the Polaris Sportsman 500 ate 4 belts, 3 sets of brakes, and was in the shop constantly!

Luckily I found someone to buy it a couple of weeks ago because this thing was a money trap!!!!!

The replacement quad is a Kawi 650, and I have to say it has been FLAWLESS!!!!! I put the black secondary spring on and have had not a single problem with the belt or drivetrain, I also have ITP 589 M/S' on it.

Old 01-30-2003 | 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Should have found another shop that could fix it right.

Old 01-30-2003 | 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

They are both excellent machines. People will try to sway you toward the brand they like. Ride 'em and get the one you like. Nothing more, nothing less. All machines have problems and remember the grass is always greener till you get there. People will switch brands and have bad experiences as well. There is really no machine out there nowadays that is bad from what I can tell. For me it came down to what I could afford and talk the wife into. My buddy has a SP600 and I love it. I also love my Prairie. They have their good and bad qualities like everything else.

Just buy what you like and you will be happy.......

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: P650 or 600Sportsman