Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

GRINDING NOISE PLEASE HELP BY 10AM

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GRINDING NOISE PLEASE HELP BY 10AM

I HAVE A 2002 SCRAMBLER 500 X, 2X4 WHEN I GET ON THE GAS IT GRINDS REAL BAD, SOUNDS LIKE THE SPROCKET IS SLIPPING OVER THE SHAFT FROM THE TRANNY. I REPLACED THE SPROCKET AND THE CHAIN AND IT STILL DOES IT! I MARKED THE SPROCKET WITH THE SHAFT THEN RODE IT IT NEVER SLIPPED. I TOOK OF THE CLUTCH COVER AND DROVE IT AND IT LOOKED LIKE THE SECONDARY CLUTCH WAS SLIPPING (NOT MOVING WHEN IT SHOULD) IS THIS POSSIBLE AND IS IT FIXABLE WITHOUT BUYING THE WHOLE THING? ANYWAY I TOOK OFF THE SECONDARY CLUTCH AND THERES ALOT OF SHAVINGS AND DUST BUT THE SPLINES STILL LOOKED GOOD????? I NEVER TOOK THE SECONDARY CLUTCH APART, COULD IT BE SOMTHING INSIDE OF IT THATS MESSED UP? I MUST FIND SOMTHING OUT BY 10 IN THE MORNING OR IM TAKING IT TO THE $$$$$$DEALER$$$$$ THEY CLOSE AT NOON PLEASE ANYONE HELP!!!!!

Old 02-01-2003, 12:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default GRINDING NOISE PLEASE HELP BY 10AM

It sounds like maybe your clutch buttons in the secondary are going bad. Did you lose performance, does it act like it is slipping? If you have shavings from the secondary and it does not respond like it used to then I would bet your buttons are bad or broken. This can be a simple fix and is common. What kind of riding style do you do? A 2002 the buttons should not be worn yet unless you are hard on it. That does not mean you beat on it but you like to launch quick and try to do alot of wheelies. I have a 2000 with many mods and the buttons are still good. The buttons are inside the secondary and this is what grabs the helix to help it shift. If this is the case spend the little extra money and get the heavy duty buttons. 3 total.