Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Raptor vs. Scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003 | 11:03 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Raptor vs. Scrambler

I was looking at a 500 Scrambler 2003, however whent to the Yamaha dealer just to look around and saw a nice new 650 Rapor for $5,500. Nice price, I 've always been a Polaris lover however, but the Raptor got me thinking. Could anyone help me out with comparison, besides there's no 4x4 and it's a clutch. I do like to go through alot of mud and water however and I am used to the automatic. My questions is, with the more power will I need 4x4 in the mud and will the clutch get annoying in the trails considering I am so used to the auto.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2003 | 11:16 AM
Range Rover

once you go clutch... It will take you some time to get used to it. Raptor is a VERY powerfull machine, and deserves respect compared to scrambler. All in all it will be your choise, But i replyed because I was going to buy a scrambler 500 4x4. I liked that machine, but then I rode the Raptor and then there was no turning back for me. imagine your scrambler smaller, lighter, and twice the power... Ride a raptor is all I can say. That will settle your mind and push you one way or another.

Old 02-12-2003 | 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

Don't forget ten times as tippy. Get the Raptor anyway.

Old 02-12-2003 | 07:03 PM
vig
Range Rover

The raptor is a totally different class of machine. If you ride in deep mud or like going in tight trails in the woods, then the raptor isnt the machine. If you like going fast and doing alot of road riding then the raptor is it. It is nice having that 4x4 button on the scrambler. Saves alot of pushing and pulling.

Old 02-12-2003 | 07:06 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Lets not forget about the extra ground clearance on the Scrammy pluss the tow rode you will need to pull thhose Raptors out of the mud hole you just went through.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2003 | 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

If you really like the Scrambler, but you want to power of the Raptor I'd wait on the new Kawasaki 700.

Old 02-12-2003 | 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Have you maybe given any thought to the Grizzly 660. Same 660 as the Raptor but it is an automatic and it has 4x4. I went riding with my brother in law this weekend who just bought a Grizzly 660. I was very impressed with it myself. After riding it I felt like my Scrambler was a piece of junk. It was extremely fast and powerful and rode so much better than my Scrambler.
We were riding rough, rutted up trails and the Grizzly rode so smooth over trails that were a rough ride on my Scrambler. If you like mud then the Grizzly would be right up your alley too.

Old 02-12-2003 | 11:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You cant compare the 400 scrammy with the grizzly 660. Totally different class of atv,s. Why do people compare oranges with apples? Of course the grizzly felt better. It is heavier and made to ride smooth. The scrammy is a semi sport quad that is mainly made for the trails. Now compare the scrammy to something like a warrior and see what the response is or the sportsman 700 with the grizzly. Thats like me comparing my Tb to a banshee. So depending on what kind of riding you like to do is up to you. Personally I would never take a nice looking sport quad like the raptor through the mud. The scrammy is made for that kind of stuff. You can have the best of both worlds with the 500 scrammy. Sporty yet agile in any situation. You can still hop up the 500 if it is not enough power.

Old 02-13-2003 | 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Fact is if you compare the Scrambler to anything it is comparing apples to oranges. The Scrambler isn't a sport quad that you can aggressively jump on an mx track so you can't compare it to sport quads, and it's not a true 4x4 utility so you can't compare it to utility quads either. I believe it's marketed as a sport-utility so it's ok in either category but it doesn't really shine as a sport or a utility. I love my Scrambler but truthfully after riding the Grizzly I would consider buying one.

The guy said he liked to ride trails and mud, and he liked the auto tranny and 4x4. I really don't think the Raptor is the best choice for trails & mud. If the guy was already looking at a Yamaha dealer then I figured he might like the Grizzly. If he was looking strictly at the Scrambler or the Raptor then I would have to say the Scrambler was the best choice.

Old 02-13-2003 | 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

when a bought my scrambler in 2001, i was also considering a DS650... i finaly end up with the scrambler because of the 4x4 and the GEN III winch...

i'm so glad i made that choice... you couldn't imagine all the places i went where it could be impossible with a 2wheels drive.sure on the gravel roads i'dlike to be a little faster but...

take all the time you need to make your choice... if you go with the raptor you just put an X on the timberjacks trails and the slippy steep hills... but faster in the wide trails and better for jumping.

by the way i jump a lot with my 4x4 500 scrambler equiped with a winch... kinda heavy!!! and on dry terrain i do wheelies as long as i want.

good luck... and make your choice for what YOU need and not for what i'm ( or we ) telling you to buy

Carl