Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

how to fix a cracked plastic footboard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to fix a cracked plastic footboard?

I hit a snow covered stump today and smashed a plastic chunck out of the footboard where it meets the rear fender. it is a single pice that is approx 4x2 inches.I can fit it right back in place but it will work free if I try to ride without affixing it back in place. What should I use? Superglue??, or is there a product better then high strength glue?? The footboard is one pice and would most likley be expensive to replace. Does anyone know the cost of a new footboard for a 03 trail boss?

Old 02-20-2003, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

partsland
$139 for the left
$119 for the right

Old 02-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

Permatex makes some amazing glues. Try to find one that chemically reacts with the plastic and melts into it, like the plastic model glues do. I mean worse comes to worse, you can use crazy glue to hold it in place and then JB Weld over it on both sides for safe measure. You can always get a black marker and go over it to make it match the rest of the floorboard.

Old 02-20-2003, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

hey , i live on a farm and fix many plastic objects(bout same material as the floorboards) with "JB Weld works great on about anything i would try that over paying over 100$ on a new floorboard.

Good luck, Haz!

Old 02-21-2003, 05:25 AM
Range Rover

I drilled holes on either side of my cracked floorboard and fender, then fed black wire ties through and cinched them up.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

JBweld will not hold on this plastic. I have tried that. They are asking $165.00 here for a new footboard! I need to find a used one for the right side of my Polaris 400.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by scavanau
I drilled holes on either side of my cracked floorboard and fender, then fed black wire ties through and cinched them up.
+1 I've done this and seen it done many of times. Stitch it up like football laces and your good to go.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by PINKMOON
I hit a snow covered stump today and smashed a plastic chunck out of the footboard where it meets the rear fender. it is a single pice that is approx 4x2 inches.I can fit it right back in place but it will work free if I try to ride without affixing it back in place. What should I use? Superglue??, or is there a product better then high strength glue?? The footboard is one pice and would most likley be expensive to replace. Does anyone know the cost of a new footboard for a 03 trail boss?
Go to your local bodyshop and they can sell you a plastic repair kit. The cost is about 35 dollars. I work for an insurance company and we buy them all the time as part of the material cost for repairing bumpers.
You will get the bumper repair material plus a mesh for strength.
Google 3m bumper repair and you can watch a step by step instruction.
note you will do the repair from the underside and the repair area will be stronger than the original.
Good luck and let us know if it works for you

Old 10-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

You can depending on where it is broke pop rivet a thin peice of metal or aluminum so it is on the back side to cover the hole. Put a rivet in each corner and then put in your broken peice and pop rivet that to the metal. Paint the metal black first in case any of it shows.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

The plastic is easy to repair from the back side with any soldering iron. Just hold the plastic together and use the iron to melt it back toether along the crack. Once you have plastic welded it back together , then reinforce it with a epoxy compound found at any autobody store used to repair all the plastic Bumpers found on all of our cars. It can be sanded and painted if you want the repair to be invisable.

Quick Reply: how to fix a cracked plastic footboard?