Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Went for a swim on a cold day

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went for a swim on a cold day

Took my Scrambler out for the first good ride since I rebuilt the primary clutch and put on a new '03 belt cover. The clutch worked great but it had a hard first ride. The creek was up a bit and a friend and I were riding water wheelies down a long stretch of water about 18" deep. I was starting to get the hang of it but I could hardly grab enough traction. The 400EX was riding the waves real good but it always wheelies anyway. I hit some waves wrong and to fast and got some water in the belt housing. I let it dry real quick and was moving along ok, but no hard accelleration was possible. Then came a deep part of the creek and of course I'm up first. I go in and the belt is slipping so I stop to let it dry. I rev for a while then put it back in gear. The tires spun a little and the whole machine just went strait down in loose sand. Water touched the seat and the machine almost rolled over. I got off in the 33 degree water to push. The engine wasn't running good from a wet belt and some water in the air box. The front was suctioned into the mud/sand but the back end came right up. I lifted the front up and my friend helped pull it out. It floated just like a boat most of the way. I started it up again (died several times but air box was above water). I drained a small amount of water out of the air box and the belt cover was FULL. The clutch I just spent $100 rebuilding probably chewed on some sand. The drain plug on the '03 cover is really nice. When everything was drained it ran better so we hit a trail and I rang 'er out good. Oil looks fine and she runs like a champ again. I've never been that deep before but I sure plan to do it again. Wouldn't trade it for anything. This is the greatest sport on Earth.