Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator stiff front shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator stiff front shocks

O.K. everyone....here's the deal. Those front shocks seem like they don't travel "fast" enough. When running over heavily traveled dune areas, that bike bounces around more than a basketball and is EXTREMELY tiring on the arms/hands. I believe if the shocks traveled up and down faster, it could absorb the bumps better, but I don't know of an adjustment for that.

I've adjusted the spring tension all the way loose, with just enough to hold the spring in place without it flopping on the shock when there is no load on the suspension (had it on a jackstand).

I've heard of putting oil reservoirs on the front shocks. Will this allow the oil to flow in/out of the shock more quickly for a faster shock response?

I used to have a Honda 400EX and those stock shocks were great compared to how this Predator is handling, too bad the Honda didn't run as good as the Pred... :-)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

By the way, WB slip on, K&N in airbox, 160 main jet and needle in the 4th position.......runs GREAT!!! I think I may want to drop a tooth on the front sprocket.....

Old 03-11-2003, 12:27 PM
Range Rover

I noticed the same thing, the reason I think the shocks seem stiffer on "slow" bumps is they are setup to prevent role in turns and squat on takeoff. I rode one at the dunes and it seemed to jar pretty good. But you get it out on some good jumps or some rougher trails and this thing rides smooth. Like cannondale did with there "glamis 440", they made the suspension plusher. The polaris manual says to add Rezzies for the "DUNE" setup. So I am assuming it would help. Laters

Dink

Old 03-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

First thing, raise the front of your machine off the ground. Make sure your front springs are not backed off beyond 11.875". If they are, at least adjust them back to that minimum. Any less, and you run a risk of the spring useating from the shock.

Second. The front rezzi's are one of the single best mods you can do to your Predator. They are identical to the rear stock unit. They offer 8 positions of adjustment. According to my sources at Polaris, #6 is about equal to the stock valving. That means you have 5 levels of softening up that valving. Been using #3 the most. Day and night difference. It would've been nice for these units to have been factory installed, but then a rag like Dirty Wheels would've ripped on Polaris for upping the price.

p.s. If your dealer can't install them in a reasonable time, you can remove the shocks and ship them along with the rezzi's to a Fox specialty shop like Carver Performance.

Old 03-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Range Rover

I heard that the rezzies only adjust up from stock not softer.I have the same problem in the sand dunes its to harsh. I am going to put my rezzies on soon they are collecting dust sitting here.Hope that they work and make it softer.If not try some valving changes.

Old 03-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

I just saw those reservoirs for 176 dollars. You need two, is this right? Not to be cheap, but that seems a little outrageous to me.

Scott

Old 03-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Thanks for the input. I was thinking, what about using different shocks? No, not the $700/pair shocks, but maybe a 400EX shock or one from some other quad. Any thoughts?

Old 03-11-2003, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Just a thought, maybe stock banshee shocks would work. I believe they are only 1" in lienght differents. And you can get them on e-bay at a fair price.

Old 03-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Dune Rocket, they do in fact go softer than stock.

Pred03, yea, you need two.

Maddog and Wall, you can mix and match all you want from E-bay.....why do you think the gear is on there in the first place? It probably didn't measure up on those machines either. This gear is engineered for the Predator....that means you, or I won't be putting it on E-bay. The snow is thawing, gotta go ride. Best way to test rezzi's, build a jump out of melting snow! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Lawyer's disclaimer....use your head when jumping. How's that for simple.

Old 03-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Range Rover

I am glad to hear that they in fact go softer. I know that when the sand is rough you can barely hang on to that thing.

Thanks
from sunny 75 degree Las Vegas
whats snow? .........lol

Old 03-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

how do you have the springs set? can you get different springs? if you look at the predator brochure, the picture with the pred in the dunes, the springs look black and looks to be more full, with red springs on top look at this picture , the brochure has a better picture

Quick Reply: Predator stiff front shocks