Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Toy Haulers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy Haulers

Does anyone have any advice for my husband and I as we are looking to buy a camper and something that will haul the atv's with us?

Old 03-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Toy Haulers

Check out www.thorca.com and www.warriormfg.com. They both have very nice pull and fifth wheel trailers. Kevin

Old 03-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Toy Haulers

are you looking to buy a toy hauler RV or a pick-up camper and a covered trailer?? how many ATV's are you going to haul? what about how many people in your family? and what about your truck is it big enough to pull a trailer? for instance you don't want to try to pull a 28' weekend warrior with a toyota..are you trying to figure out what is the best brand of the best trailer for the money??

Old 03-18-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Haulers

for starters, welcome! as far as trailers go, there are so many different good desingns, that it really is a question of what you really want.

Old 03-18-2003, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Haulers

I looked at one of those new campers that comes with a space in the back for a motorcycle or atv. first thing I noticed was the space wasn't big enough for my two machines. Maybe some of them are, but not the ones I looked at. Other thing I noticed is if I did fit 2 machines in there, that's well over 1500 lbs behind the axles. That would make the trailer tongue weight too light and it would sway and tow lousy. A few companies are making them now, I would check the RV dealers, but bring a tape measure and know how much room you will need. Don't take a salesman's word for it. Another possibility would be, if only one fits inside, to put one in the bed of the pickup that's towing the camper. That would only work if the camper isn't a gooseneck. If you do go this route, also make sure you have enough truck for the camper, the machine and all your gear. I see way too many little trucks that are in over there head. I saw an S-10 pulling a fifth wheel 22 footer yesterday. Creeping along at 50 on the interstate. Sure the truck will pull it, and electric brakes will stop it, but you have to consider wind, evasive maneuvers, etc. Anyway, my own solution was to buy the wife an SUV capable of pulling our ATV trailer with 2 Sportsmans, and I pull the big camper with my 1 ton. This has it's pros and cons. We have Motorola walkie talkies to communicate, of course it's more fuel and more tolls, but when we get there we leave mine hooked up and use hers to get around in. It's cheaper than getting rid of the camper and buying a brand new one with a garage in back.

Old 03-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Haulers

What do you have for a truck? Do you already have a camper, or are you shopping for one? Another thought I had is you could get a reasonable size motor home, then tow the atvs behind that.

Old 03-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Toy Haulers

We've been told our Dodge Ram extended cab is rated for 7700 whatever it is GVWR. We will be hauling two atv's in the future but right now only the Polaris 700. I don't know the difference in Fifth Wheel hauling vs. Travel Trailer either. I want something we can haul into the mountains with as much ease as possible. We are for the most part alone but are planning on a trailer that will sleep 4 anyway. You all are being very helpful. I'll check out the mentioned sites and any other suggestions that anyone throws my way.

Old 03-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Haulers

whoops, I'm paying attention.

Old 03-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Toy Haulers

We are shopping on a budget and taking a year or so before we buy. We've looked at the Coyotes (C18 or C22) but just aren't sold on anything yet. I never take a salesman's word on anything without double checking for myself. I try to research as much as possible before I even talk to any of them. I had one yesterday telling me we could go over this and make exceptions here. I'm like "No thank you and we really are only looking." he left us alone in a big hurry. all in all it was quite humorous!

Old 03-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Haulers

At 7700 lbs you're talking a 1500 series truck. I would personally not go beyond a 24 ft trailer, around 5000-5500 lbs, that should keep you well below your max towing capacity. Many people go much bigger, thats just my two cents. Of course, the new ultralight campers are so much lighter you can go bigger. A lot of times it comes down to how much you can afford, especially when buying new. And I recommend a weight distributing hitch, if you go with a tagalong, or travel trailer. A gooseneck or fifth wheel are the kind that go over the bed of the truck and attach to the bed floor. They tow much better, are much easier to manuever and park, but that is about all I like about them. You can't pull them with an SUV, and you can't put anything in the bed of the truck. So, how are you going to tow the trailer and 1 or two atvs? I'm thinking you need to check out the ones that have the garage in the back. Just don't go too big or you'll overwork the truck. My sister has a new Ram 1500 extra cab, they tow a 9000lb 30 foot travel trailer with it. I have tried to tell them they are nuts, but they don't seem to worry about it. This is one of my favorite topics, so keep me posted.

Quick Reply: Toy Haulers