Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can we handle the Rubicon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2000, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get info saying the Ruby will have a 2wd/4wd option?

The website says "full time 4wd"

Old 04-25-2000, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

yep, that last time check all the places that have specs for the ruby, they all said full time.

Old 04-25-2000, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

yep, that last time check all the places that have specs for the ruby, they all said full time.

Old 04-25-2000, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

i think i would be wise for us to wait and see what polaris has for 2001. i know polaris doesent want honda to have any advantage it can. there strong rumers of a 700cc four-stroke twin sportsman for 2001. wonder if the rubicon(rubbercan) could beat that? i personaly think the rubicon is a good machine but it has way to much publicity. im not sure,but i think that a pvt transmision would be more efficient at getting the power to the wheels than the new rubicon trans. Does anybody know is the rubicon transmision similar to a hydrostatic drive tractor?? thanks..

Old 04-25-2000, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

i think i would be wise for us to wait and see what polaris has for 2001. i know polaris doesent want honda to have any advantage it can. there strong rumers of a 700cc four-stroke twin sportsman for 2001. wonder if the rubicon(rubbercan) could beat that? i personaly think the rubicon is a good machine but it has way to much publicity. im not sure,but i think that a pvt transmision would be more efficient at getting the power to the wheels than the new rubicon trans. Does anybody know is the rubicon transmision similar to a hydrostatic drive tractor?? thanks..

Old 04-25-2000, 01:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Rubicon transmission is very similiar to a hydro tractor. Hydro drive is very reliable if built with good, close tolerance parts. One problem with any hydraulic system is keeping the fluid clean. Any dirt, even the smallest particles, will ruin a hydraulic system. I was very surprised when I heard Honda was a hydro. I am interested to see how it will handle water entereing the system, which will eventually happen on an ATV. Also, hydraulic drive is not efficient when transferring power although it is convenient. There is another factor related to hydro which is heat build up. Fluid power transfer can generate a great deal of heat. Especially when in a high speed application. High heat can also lead to fluid and system breakdown. It will be interesting to see how this machine holds up in the long term.

Randy

Old 04-25-2000, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

I've got an sp500, and although it has it's share of small problems such as overheating and tie rod ends wearing and eating up brakes, I wouldn't trade it for the Rubicon. I guarantee that once the rubicon is out, I'll be pushing them out of mud holes just like all other Japanese bikes. Mine is stock, and I still go through stuff that guys with Japanese bikes with mud tires and all can't go through. Sure, I get stuck sometimes, but there's never a Honda or Yamaha pushing me through. Matter of fact, a mud ride I recently went on, this couple on a Suzuki Quadmaster 500 had to leave his 2-week old 4x4 in the mud and he and his wife had to split up and ride out with me and another guy on Polaris sp500's. He said a 500 was going to be under the garage come Monday. His bike was overheating, and we couldn't pull him out even with both of us hooked together pulling him at the same time. He was really stuck bad. Something else that I guarantee is now that Honda is coming out with this liquid-cooled bike is that it will have overheating problems just like all other liquid-cooled bikes. I'm starting to pack a 1-gallon pesticide sprayer with water in it to wet my radiator once in a while once it gets clogged. It's worth the hassle to me to have the best bike made.

Old 04-25-2000, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Sure we can.

Let's take a lesson from the motorcycle divisions.

Honda is no longer #1 in registrations and sales in the motorcycle arena. They have been dethroned by Harley Davidson.

Now let us consider the roadworthiness of the Harley vs Honda for a while. Hmmmmm....

Some things do no equate. Superior engineering does not always result in being #1 in sales.

I believe that the "Polaris Faithful" will weather the slings and arrows of this utility "newbie".

"...Smells like Victory."

Old 04-25-2000, 06:47 PM
Range Rover

The hondas are nice but what happens when the pretty little screen goes out????
I love my 'Cat no high tech gizmos to break just all out power.
But Honda is known as one of the big boys in the industry and sells on its name alone, I know may stock ATV's Yam, Ploaris, and the mighty ArcticCats that will put a comprable Honda to shame any day of the week

Old 04-25-2000, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

ArticCat,

Read the Rancher vs Kawi shoot out in the June issue of 4 wheel atv action. There was a statment regarding the towing ability off the Rancher, It beat the 500 Arctic Cat AUto time for the same pull!

Quick Reply: Can we handle the Rubicon?