Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EXPEDITION 425 PROS AND CONS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2000, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this seems to be the semi-official 425 Expedition Post, I ask- Can the Reverse-override
button be used to lock the front hubs in 4-wheel drive(By backing up and keeping it depressed) for tough downhills as it can on Auto 4x4 Polarises? We are about to trade in my son's Trail Boss, which has been a good rig for the money, on a new
425 Expedition, and wondered if this trick will work with the 5-speed. Thanks---Later

Old 05-02-2000, 02:24 AM
Trailblazer

Loook t the Titan 589 before you buy anything.

Old 05-02-2000, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

If you are going to upgrade a tire get a real tire the p traker is a ok tire but for the money there is better out there ie tri claws bi claws. Mud bugs, mudrunners , plenty out there that are not so aggresive that it would make a harsh ride i realy recomend the mudrunners and bi tri claw set up not there magnum set up unless you want to go extreeme they are an AWSOME TIRE no less .

Old 05-02-2000, 05:38 AM
Pro Rider

fourlix,
Yes, using the overide to keep the hubs engaged does work. I have been experimenting with it the last couple weekends. I'm curious to know why you're concidering the Xpedition. I thought that once you'd experienced the auto, you'd never come back.
Brian

Old 05-02-2000, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

YOU actually dont really need that trick when going down hills because if your in lets say second gear, your using the engine compression to help keep you at a slow speed and with the help of the brakes, you can handle down hills safely.

Welcome Vikesguy to our xpedition group. I see your from MN. same as me. I have yet to run into another xpedition owner out there in minnesota some where. Maybe we will run into each other some
day atving.

rangerchet, 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed.

Last night I ordered from Highlifter, I think its called. A progressive lift heavy duty front springs for my xpedition. It will raise up the front end body by 1 inch and be very firm. This should elliminate my 26 inch mudbug tires from rubbing on the plastics.

Old 05-02-2000, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

RangerChet,
That's not entirely true. Going down banks, especially loose gravel in low gear, the rear tires tend to slide. Using the brakes does work in most situations. I've done some hills, one in particular that was so steep that when I touched the brakes to manuver, the rear end started coming over. I never did that one again until I tried it with the front hubs engaged. It was a totally controlled descent, with no wheel slippage, and no brakes. It made a HUGE difference in the pucker factor. I don't like to rely on the brakes when going downhill. Polaris's are biased to the front, and could contribute to a rollover if you grabbed the brakes to hard. Which could easily happen when the rear is tryin to pass the front.
I'm glad ATVING made the post, cause it eliminated one of the few shortcomings I've had with this ride.
You going to the Hurley, Wi. Jamboree. I'd like to see all the do-dads you got.
Brian

Old 05-03-2000, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Ok Dusty, I have not experienced that yet and will
keep it in mind then. I dont know about the hurly jamboree. Tell me about it. Maybe I will go if im not out of town. I am disapointed that I have to miss the minnesota atvam this friday, sat. and sunday up at roseau. I am primary on-call this week and weekend. The scurge!. I hate my beeper!

rangerchet, polaris xpedition 425 cc 5 speed.

Old 05-03-2000, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

We picked up the 425 Ex yesterday and the back-up/hold the button to stay in 4x4 trick seems to work, but we have not yet tried it on a serious descent. As for 5-speed
vs. Auto, it is my son age 12 who traded in his Trailboss 325 for the 425 Expedition, I know, it is a ridiculous amount of machinery for a 65 lb.
not even a teenager, but he rides very well, has a lot of miles on a Honda Foreman ES as well as his former TrailBoss, and the move to 4x4 needed a power boost just to stay even. Yes, I am an Autophile, and I pick up my New Red Arctic Cat 500 Auto with winch at the State Line (AZ dealer, no tax) at 4 PM today --Wooo Hooooo!!! My wife gets the 325 2x4 Magnum, which is a nice bike, but
sort of a gelding. Silly Later--Fourlix