Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

smoke out the manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke out the manifold

just put a new pipe on my magnum AAEN slip on. I c that there is smoke comming out ot hte manifold it looks like. Im not sure i greased everything before tho and i think it could b some greese/oil on the pipe, but when i rev it up it smokes alot more instantly. What happeneed?

Old 04-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Where is the smoke coming from?? Don't understand. Is it from where the pipe bolts to the engine or where the pipe slips on the piece bolted to the engine? Or is it somehwere else? What year and make is your magnum?

Old 04-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

1996 magnum 425 2x4. The smoke comes from where the pipe comes out the engine. I don't understand how the slipon could have caused that. I just don't wanna blow it up.

Old 04-10-2003, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

You won't blow it up with smoke coming out becasue you are running rich if you are bellowing smoke. Well, it is either not sealing good, or you have oil or grease on the pipe, I don't see why there would be smoke either?? Did you put a new seal on the pipe or used the old one? What I am talking about is #15 here?

Old 04-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

no never did anything with seals. I guess that ill take it out and see if its oil tomorrow.

Old 04-10-2003, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, I just looked at the Aaen site and I am way off. Listen, you are probably running too rich now because of the pipe. You may also have leaking seals down there but you only replaced the muffler right?? You probably need to adjust your air screw a little bit. Turn it out a 1/2 turn or so and see if that helps, if you flip the choke on will it make it worse or quit running? That is too rich. If you can wait until tomorrow, I would call Aaen and ask them if you need to make adjustments to the carb and why the smoke. They are very good at telling you what is going on.

Old 04-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a gasket on the headpipe. If you use the old one coat it with VHT silicon and let it set awhile before starting.And the slip on shouldnt richen it if anything it would lean it out(worse than rich if you run it)when I changed pipes onmine I went up one main jet and lowered the needle one notch.But moving the pipe around could have messed up the gasket on the head pipe. Hope this does what you want.It should.

Old 04-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Range Rover

hey that would b great if u could call them for me. Im not really sure what yopu mean by silicon on the head. Where is that?

Old 04-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right off the head where the pipe bolts up there should be a gasket. Use the VHT silicone(very hi temp) Peratex RED silicone. along with the old gasket.

Old 04-10-2003, 11:24 PM
Range Rover

i never changed anything on the head pipe so i don't think it could be the gasket

Quick Reply: smoke out the manifold