Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

first ride with HPD scram

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 01:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first ride with HPD scram

I just got back from my first trip with my scram after the mods. For the record, I ride with an 88' KX80, a 96' RM80, and an 01' DS650. The DS bent a shock, but was able to continue on. The RM 80 fried the rings and needed a new piston. We lost a whole day of riding trying to find a new Wiesco for it. We found one and put it in. After about a 1/2 tank of gas while we were breaking it in, the bike died. Turns out the cylinder is tapered. So, we put the old piston back in and it ran, but had to be push started all the time. The KX80 just had a complete top end rebuild, new wiesco piston, rings, gaskets, and cylinder. We properly broke it in and it ran great, until our last day we had gotten 10 minutes into our trip and it blow the rings and part of the piston up. We found pieces of them in the exhaust. The Polaris was the only one without problems. Hows that for reliabilty[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. In fact, I was the tow vehical when they all broke down. The clutch kit id great. I couldnt get it to wheelie, it just spun the tires. But, there was a lot of rain and the trail conditions werent the best, lots of MUD!!! I noticed that if I give it a little bit of gas, it will stall. I asume it is because of the higher engagement of the clutch. The Powermaxx exhaust adds TONS of low end grunt and absolutely screams down the trails. The 700 belt also seamed to hook up great with not slip at all. I didnt notice any gain in speed. The highest that I hit was about 62mph. It may have gone more if I let it go farther. I dont know if that was because it was on a wet, hilly dirt road or not. But, I also noticed that it would occasionly POP after bringing it down from high RPM's. I am running a 165 main jet that came with the pipe and the pilot screw turmed 3 turns out. Am I running to rich or what? Also, It was close, but I beat the 80's in a short drag race. I was most supprised that I was dead even with the DS until he hit 4th gear, then he walked away from me. He was more supprised than me that I was able to hank with him that long, because he could easily walk away from me in 2nd gear when I was stock. Well, thats about all.

Old 04-23-2003, 02:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Bigbad, don't know if you did, but maybe better check the plug, just to be safe. Please post on how that 700 belt holds up. I tried one with the race-mod, but it didn't last the weekend. With the lower 500 rpm's I bet it should do better. Had a weekend like that at Silver Lake once. Everytime I'd come back from a few drags, we'd be over going through someones bike or quad. Makes the cold one at the end of the day taste that much better. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2003, 02:40 AM
Trailblazer

If you don't mind, where did you purchase your HPD exhaust from? My father has a scrambler 500 also and is in the market for a pipe. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-23-2003, 02:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sure will Ken. I am going to bring it out tommorow to detail wash it. Powerwashing can only get so much off. What do you recommend for getting the caked on mud of the shinny new header pipe? I planned on takeing the clutch cover off to clean out the clutches anyway because I was hitting some DEEP mud and some deep puddles at full speed. Just want to prevent anything bad from happening. Ill check the condition of the belt too. I was going to get the Gates belt, but I ride a lot of open trails at a constant speed and was told that if you do that the belt can damage your clutched. Plus, I was able to notice that the 700 belt did a great job on keeping the the clutches a lot cooler. I might just take the front plastic off and check that plug (I wish their was an easier way to get that plug out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]). Do you think that Im running rich? Im glad that I didnt break anytrhing this time, because Now I can get the Harley that I was offered. It needs some work, but we have so many extra parts from my dad's bike from when he went to NOS, and then to a supercharger, and now to a custom frame. We've practically got enough parts to built a complete bike.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I cant wait, I'll park the blazer for the summer and ride that, especially witht he great gas mileage[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2003, 02:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

mugsy, I bought all of my HPD stuff from Rick at RCR. He sells all the HPD stuff too. I highly recommend getting an aggresive clutch kit with it as well. The exhaust was $305 and the clutch kit was $155 and Rick onlu charged $9 for shipping. What a deal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Don't go by me, go by the plug. Yea, about the kevlar belt, it does have a clutch appetite. Gotta live with it though.

Old 04-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ok Modquad, I got the plug out today. When I put the exhaust on I put in a brand new NGK plug. I dont know what kind it was, but it was in a silver box. I also gapped it to specs. When I took it out today, it is black and I can smell gas on it. Does that mean that I am running rich? My elevation is about 1000 ft above sea level. When I got my HPD exhaust, it came with a 165 main jet and said to turn the pilot screw 3 turns out from lightly seated. What do I need to do? Should I got to a 160 jet or a 162.5 jet? Sorry, but I know squat about carbs and jetting. What kind of jets does the 40mm mikuni take? Are they something that I can pick up at any powersprts shop or do I need to go to the dealer? Thanks

Old 04-24-2003, 07:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Also, when did you get that radiator gaurd on the race mod?

Old 04-24-2003, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

You should be able to get the jets from any motorcycle shop, or you might have to order them from Aaen or something like that. 3 turns out seems like alot for me, If I had to go 3 turns out, I would go to a smaller pilot jet and then make air screw adjustments from there, that is if it runs good at idle-1/4 throttle. when it pops, what throttle range are you in and where does the pop come from?? If it is an exhaust pop, you are rich, if it is a carb pop, your pilot is too lean. An easy test is to flip the choke on at the throttle range in question and if it runs better, you are lean, if it runs worse you are rich. Also, if it runs better after warming up you are lean, rich if it runs worse. I would say if your plug is black, you are rich, but if you didn't do a throttle chop, then the plug doesn't mean anything because idling will mess up the reading. If your jet is hex head then it is a 4/042 type jet and if it is round with a slot in the middle, it is a N100.604 type jet, just make sure you get the right one because there are huge differences between the two.

Old 04-24-2003, 08:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It doesnt pop at all when accelerating and in fact it runs great, hot or cold. My idle was really screwed up because the adjuster cable broke and i had to put a new one on. It took a while to get it adjusted right but now it idles fine. The pop happens occasionally after letting off the gas after a WOT run. I know that the scram 500 is set up rich from the factory with a 155 main jet. But my pipe came with the 165 which seems like a lot. Should I go down 1 size, to a 162.5?

Quick Reply: first ride with HPD scram