Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 scrambler clutch kits and jetting

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 scrambler clutch kits and jetting

just wondering where the best place to buy a clutch kit and jet kit for my scrambler would be?i already have a dg pipe and muffler as well as k&n filter so i dont need the whole kits most places offer.also wondering what other performance mods can be made without sacrificing reliability.any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-29-2003, 01:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

check with RCR and HPD for your performance mods. RCR sells HPD products as well and Rick from RCR is a top notch guy with top notch service. I highly reccomend the HPD aggresive clutch kit. My scram will wheelie like crazy now. Rocky MT ATV has the K&N jet kit for $45. When it comes to real performance, you want to stay away from DG and FMF for the polaris quads. In some cases, especially with DG you can lose power with their kits. There are shops that specialize in building high performance parts for Polaris quads and have been doing so for years, such as HPD, RCR, Aaen, and Hot Seat Performance. Actually, you want to stick with one comapny when it comes to their clutch kits and pipes because they are tuned to work together. Hope this helped you some[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the advice bigbadscrambler.in your opinion though should i stick with the dg pipe and silencer or buy all new? i hate to throw away a 200$ pipe.also just curious as to how hard it was to switch to a 700 belt on your scram? and if you've had any problems with it.

Old 04-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The 700 belt is just a direct replacement of the stock one. No modifications needed. There has been a great debate on whether or not is works. I have found that is hooks up a lot better than the stock belt and have gotten no slipage out of it ...yet. It is up do you on the DG pipe. I would hate to tell yo to throw it away, but the fact is that it doesnt make the power that the others systems make. I know that some people said that they felt that they lost power with them, especially on the 2 strokes. Its your call

Old 04-29-2003, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, the pipe is not that good, but if it is running good and you like the performance it gives you, then keep it and just add mods elsewhere. If you want to sell it, put it on ebay.

Old 04-29-2003, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the advice guys.i think i'll buy a jet kit and see where that gets me.i guess i can always change pipes later.you guys seem to know your stuff.i'm kinda new at this i have only owned the bike for a week.i was wondering if you could help with another question.the bike came with a used epi clutch kit the previous owner took it out because it chewed up a belt and he didnt like the way it let the motor rev before it engaged.it appears to be in decent shape besides a little wear on the splines.should i risk it?

Old 04-29-2003, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

I don't understand the question. Chewed up on the splines of what?? The belt or the clutches?

Old 04-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey these are 2stroke guys telling you that your pipe aint good.Granted the DG sucks on 2stokes but when it comes to 4 strokes the pipe isnt as big of deal as with a 2 stroke.As long as it flows better than stock it is ok.As for a clucth kit on 4 strokes it isnt as important to clutch to the pipe you clutch a 4 stroke to meet your needs like engaugment and shiftout.And for jet kits you are better off to read your plugs and jet accordingly.You can get Mikkuni jets at any bike shop but you shouldnt need to go but maybe on step up an the main and raise the needle clip to one notch over the middle and adjust the air mix.

Old 04-29-2003, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

some of the splines on the clutch are wore down.they appear to only be about 1/16 of an inch tall and rounded.i have never had one apart so i dont know how much wear is acceptable.

Old 04-29-2003, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

That is true also ftwflh, pipe is not that big a deal on 4 strokes. My buddy runs a supertrapp on his 500 that he hare scrambles and he seems to like it alot, I know for the 2 strokes DG did not do much R&D for the pipe design and I would just have to assume the same with the 4 stroke pipe, but, the 4 stroke pipes are much more forgiving and easier to make than the 2 stroke pipes also. Like I said before, if you like it, then keep it. No one can tell you not to like something because they don't. If it performs to your expectations, then that is the only pipe you need.

Quick Reply: 500 scrambler clutch kits and jetting