Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch offset tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 05:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch offset tool

I bought the clutch offset tool from Hotseat , I have the shop manual (dont understand maybe someone can explain it better),but I cant seem to figure out how to get the tool to touch the back edge of the driven clutch. I have the spacer and one shim behind the clutch. The front side of the driven has 1/8 clearence from the tools straight edge per manual. My belt is riding high on the clutch 1/8" over the top of clutch. I had the tranny out at one time to replace cracked case. This is my second belt since 2000. I HOPE THIS IS ENOUGH INFO. Can anyone help please

Old 05-02-2003, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

If you have the correct tool it should line up easily unless your driven is that far out of adjustment. Do the measurement at the top of the clutches.

Old 05-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

What can I do to adjust the clutch? The part #written on the tool was the same as in the catalog.

Old 05-02-2003, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Depends on how it is out of adjustment. Check your center of the front shaft to the center of the back shaft adjustment first. It should be very close to 10". As close as possible. Now if your offset (1/8") between the rear of the clutches is off, you make adjustments to it by adding or removing shims from behind the secondary clutch. If the 10" is off, you make adjustments by removing or adding shims to the motor mounts. You might also get a small amount of movement in the tranny mounts.

Old 05-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

Measurement is 10" center to center. Dont you need to keep at least one shim in?

Old 05-02-2003, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Yes you do. How much space do you have offset?? Or does it lay flat against the rear clutch or what? I don't understand what you mean by you can't get it to touch the back edge of the secondary?

Old 05-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Range Rover

I have the tool perfectly fit to the drive clutch and the straight part of the tool passes the front edge of the driven clutch by1/8" and the tool does not touch the rear of the clutch like manual says it should, it also is 1/8" from touching.

Old 05-02-2003, 07:17 PM
Range Rover

When I put the tranny back in could I have not put it back right? The tool should touch the back edge of the clutch leaving 1/8" on the front edge (between tool and clutch)

Old 05-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Possibly, you may need to loosen the motor mounts and try to twist the engine around to get it to touch on the rear side, that would cause your belt wear. Since you have the back clutch cover off? You may try to loosen the rear bumper, motor to tranny mount and see if it moves any. You will see what I mean. Here is a part diagram. #'s 24 and 6. Partsland Hope this helps. I will be back on here in a little while, if you need anymore advise.

Old 05-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Range Rover

Im at work now, but I'll try what you suggest tomorrow. Thanks for your help and time.

Quick Reply: Clutch offset tool