Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Iron Range OHV Park

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron Range OHV Park

Hello I have a question for whoever can answer it. OK the Iron Range OHV park was built on a taconite facility and because of this my friend was told he shouldn't ride there. The reason he was told this was because the taconite dust is so fine it gets through the Air filter and wears out the engine faster.

What do you think about this?

Old 05-13-2003, 11:55 PM
Range Rover

Can't answer the taconite deal but he shouldn't ride there because they don't want any quads there.
DB meter, unfriendly locals and a boring park in general.
Go ride Iron River or Hurley.
Much more fun.

Old 05-14-2003, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

ROFL I love the line about the Trees in your Signature!

We do plan on hitting Iron River this summer, especially since it's an hour or less from us. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have yet to get there due to not having much free time but I hope to make it before Winter! As far as Hurley, all I ever hear is that they have great snowmobiling there in the winter.

Old 05-14-2003, 02:10 AM
Trailblazer

The Park is sweet and very ATV friendly. I mean sure they do DB tests before you go in but its not a big deal any stock quad will make it in and some piped quads will make it.

And the thing about the taconite dust is a lie. Besides that your not riding on taconite, your riding on waste piles, I mean they WANT the taconite to make iron and wouldnt leave millions of tons just laying there for atvs to ride. LOL that was pretty stupid of your friend. Silly Wisconers. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

My Pictures of my OHV park

Old 05-14-2003, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

MinnesotaRipper, are you the guy who created this web site here?

If so, we must have crossed paths at some point because the photo on the bottom of "Red Top Ride 2" Page 1 is of my son (with my brother standing over him). Let me know, as I'd like a copy of that photo (if you have it).

By the way, nice photos of the Gilbert site. I've not yet been up there to ride but hope to make it up there some time this summer.

Old 05-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Fun and safe place. DNR folks are super nice there.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:16 AM
Range Rover

Have played in the pits of the range for a good few years now. Started by scuba diving in them and have been to the Gilbert Pit. I went up there to do an ATV instructor class for the DNR. Got to talk to the locals (park operators) and were very frendly and full of alot of info. Yes they do DB tests, all they want is for you to be MN compliant and will do everything they can to get you to pass. 99 DB, 20 inches away from your pipe at a 45 angle, call them and they will tell you what RPM's you engine has to be spinning for the test. They have some book that gives them what RPM's to test at. Unfortunetly as of last week it was a 2000 book, so they "SWAG" it for newer models.
[SWAG= Scientific Wild posterier Guess]
As for the dust, yes it gets everywhere, but I would hope that a good airfilter would take care of it. After all people have been driving up there for at least a few years now that I know of. And the last time I checked motorized equipment was used to dig those big wholes.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

Pechmial: Thats me. I remeber seeing you guys back on Red Top two years ago, pretty funny how you guys tried the sink hole(when it was bad) with stock machines. I remeber talking to you about checking you quad for water like in the motor and stuff.

Oh and they test your nosie at half throttle, but if its at half throttle or not is up to you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2003, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer

do you guys see many sport quads up in the park? are there jumps or any obstacles suited for sport machines? i have a 4x4, but would love to bring both. thanks

Old 05-15-2003, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

MinnesotaRipper, Yeah, we'd just got the machines then and wanted to test their limits. The kicker was when my son told my brother to go straight through the sink hole and he tried it. Even I had enough sense not to try that one. Took us a half hour to winch him out (mostly because we were also new at winching). The machines are still stock, but we don't go through mud like that anymore. If you have the original scan of that photo still (the one on the site looks reduced) I'd appreciate a PM on how I can get it.

I'd also like to know how the Gilbert site is for sport machines. I'd like to take mine and my wife's up there the end of this month.

Quick Reply: Iron Range OHV Park