Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 trailblazer 400 won't go into high

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT,

the engagement dog looks fine and isn't rounded off. It looks pretty much just like the picture of the new one except it is shiny on the outer ends of the dogs. Unfortunately, the two polaris dealers that are near me don't carry any of these parts so I ordered everything online. Should have everything for it early next week and I can get it back together. I will keep you posted on how it turns out. The gearcase on these are fairly simple in design so I may be less hesitant to pick up these older models with gearcase issues. Seems like a common issue on these polaris models when they get abused.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cornermike
The gearcase on these are fairly simple in design so I may be less hesitant to pick up these older models with gearcase issues. Seems like a common issue on these polaris models when they get abused.
Yes they are simple in design and the lack of low range was part of the problem. Another being that most were simply bought for play only,silent chains and sometimes gears did take a beating on many.Bargains can be found on these entry level atvs.Sounds like you made a pretty good score on this one if the body and the rest of it is in good shape as you say.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got all my parts today and put the gearbox all back together. Not a bad job from start to finish. I think polaris needed to rethink the design of this gear a little bit. I noticed all the parts in this gearbox crossover to the 250 models. The three little dogs might hold up to the buzzy little 250 but it doesn't seem beefy enough for the stronger 400 motor. Maybe adding a few more dogs on this gear would have prevented this one from breaking. I know just driving it around the shop, this one is more tourqy than the 250 in used to. I cracked the throttle and it popped the front wheels off the ground like nothing. I know the 400 in my old sportsman won't even do that, lol.

Thanks for your help OPT,
Mike

Old 08-24-2017, 01:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Good pics to show how these gears mesh together. I never liked the dog gear arrangement,always though the beveled tooth gear to gear like in motorcycles and semi autos atvs were stronger. I've had gears like this where engagement dogs were broken off but don't think I've seen one with all three broken.. I think someone had to have been really mad and just slammed the shifter with his foot to finish the job.. Plus the KBC bearing is good quality unlike some of the Russian ones I've come across in gear cases.