Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone have an issue with tbap changing vdc reading when plugged in??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just think of this as splice block. Same color wires are joined together and branch off to different areas.Could be as simple as a couple wires aren't making good contact inside the block.If a violet is going to the t-bap harness and not making a good connection with the other violet,that can cause the problems you're having. Cant remember if you have the manual or not but the wiring schematic helps make sense of things and shows this connector and wires that branch off it.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thank you for your patience. That makes sense now yes I have a manual for my 800 pretty much the same thing

Old 08-22-2017, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Ok so I pulled apart that splice plug and it was definitely corroded and green. I cleaned it up real good and used some dielectric grease and the issue is GONE!! So I pulled throttle body apart again and reset base at .528 then hooked up throttle cable and set it at .710 plugged tbap in and readings stayed at .710!! Fire it up and it was idling at 1220 rpms and also the meter when running was reading .716 so i turned the key off and back on to see if it was still reading .710 when it wasnt running and it was still at .710 so I adjusted the d screw when it was running back to .710 and it idles at 1180-1190 rpms when it's set to .710 while running. Turned it off to see what it reads with just key on and it reads .700
. So was I doing it wrong? Am I supposed to set it to .710 when it's running? I thought it should be the same whether running or key on?? What do you think OPT? I also played with the splice plug quite a bit when it was running just to make sure it didn't change again and it didn't so once again your right with the wiring issue.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You adjust the tps with the ignition OFF.. That's why the harness kit we had came with a 9 volt battery and regulator. Problem may still be in the connector,clean it again and recheck your work. Plus tie that connector up to the main harness to keep it from jumping and flopping around. That may have caused part of the problem to begin with. You're getting there so be patient..

Old 08-23-2017, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Ok. So it can't be done with the key in ON position? That's how I did it on my 800. I bought the lot from KMS Performance, comes with the multimeter and the harness. Doesn't say anything about using regulator and battery. I used wire brush and steel wool and the pins in connector are down to bare metal, then used electrical cleaner and sprayed female said of splice and compressed air then dielectric grease. Tried shaking and pulling on it and it didn't change Anything so I think the splice us good but I will double check it. Also voltage doesn't change at all when I plug or unplug tbap like it dis before

Old 08-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

OK.... Forgot about the aftermarket harness kits that have come out that you can use with a meter and the ignition on. I'd still check the connector wiring since the voltage fluctuates a little at the tps sensor. You're close,but still sounds like you have a wiring issue in the connector block. But here's the most important thing. If it maintains a steady idle,doesn't hesitate or bog,I'd take it out and see how it does.. If it runs ok,I'd call it a day. Just tie up that connector block to the harness loom.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yes ordered this harness tool, good to have. Correct I had .710 with key on, when running it read .010 higher but it was idling 100rpms too high. So I adjusted it to .710 when running and it was idling about 1180 rpms. But when I turn it off, now I'm reading .700 I just took apart the splice again and went through it and no change. Is there a way to pop the wires and pins out to really clean and inspect them? I also went through all the wiring again moving it around every which way and it didn't change anything

Old 08-23-2017, 12:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It doesn't matter what it reads when you turn it off.. If it's idling between 1150-1200 rpms and runs good,don't push your luck.. Leave it alone and ride it..

Old 08-23-2017, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a plan. I'll be able to take it for a ride by this weekend. Thanks again