Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rpms reading 0

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lph008
well I just redid the wire tests on the stator. I had my wife this time to hold it around 2000rpm while checking acv all 3 wires were at 20vdc at idle and all 3 were at just over 40vdc around 2000 rpms. I tested them all combinations as well as short to ground and also ohms. Everything checked out?? No clue. The ac test was the only one I wasn't able to complete before due to dumb reasons.
So just to clarify...short to ground test shouldn't go to 0 correct?
one last thing before I order stator...i found this video where he sets the meter to audio to test short to ground on stator...i unplugged stator and tested the three wires this way and I got a beep on all 3 wires?? Is this verifying that I have a short on all three wires?? https://youtu.be/bt-GZlV9v8g

Old 09-14-2017, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lph008
one last thing before I order stator...i found this video where he sets the meter to audio to test short to ground on stator...i unplugged stator and tested the three wires this way and I got a beep on all 3 wires?? Is this verifying that I have a short on all three wires?? https://youtu.be/bt-GZlV9v8g
not sure with it won't let you click on the link but you can copy and paste it

Old 09-15-2017, 04:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Your ac test shows within range(just over 40vdc) like I posted earlier along with your resistance test on the charge wires showing ok. "Alternator Current Output Reading should be no less than 30--40V AC above 2000 RPM on each "leg." According to these tests the stator charge coil shows ok. Spending 50 bucks on a cheap Caltric stator may or may not solve the problem.At this point this is up to you.The new ecm you said didn't change the over charging(16 volts) and speedo battery flashing symbol but you still don't have the correct battery..if that really makes a difference on this,really don't know,but would sure narrow things down if you had a new correct battery..

Old 09-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Your ac test shows within range(just over 40vdc) like I posted earlier along with your resistance test on the charge wires showing ok. "Alternator Current Output Reading should be no less than 30--40V AC above 2000 RPM on each "leg." According to these tests the stator charge coil shows ok. Spending 50 bucks on a cheap Caltric stator may or may not solve the problem.At this point this is up to you.The new ecm you said didn't change the over charging(16 volts) and speedo battery flashing symbol but you still don't have the correct battery..if that really makes a difference on this,really don't know,but would sure narrow things down if you had a new correct battery..
I spoke to the guy at Interstate Battery today and he said the 12a and 14 a battery is not the issue that should not matter at all he said something else is overcharging. what should my readings be AC test on stator when I'm over 3,000 RPMs? Does it keep going up? Or should it not go above a certain reading? I also talked to the dealer and he said he will have another ecm in on Monday and he will swap them out for me. So thats a plus

Old 09-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

2000 rpms is just a general test range the manual gives on checking ac voltage output. Usually the ac voltage will climb at higher rpms. First off let the dealer swap the ecm out and go from there. The rate these things fail you could have gotten a bad one straight out of the box just like I have had with batteries.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
2000 rpms is just a general test range the manual gives on checking ac voltage output. Usually the ac voltage will climb at higher rpms. First off let the dealer swap the ecm out and go from there. The rate these things fail you could have gotten a bad one straight out of the box just like I have had with batteries.
ok will do. Thanks for your help opt

Old 09-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Well just tried another new ecm and still overcharging. Looks like I'm ordering a stator.👎👎

Old 09-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Unless you like gambling on whether you'll get a good Chinese stator this time or not,you might consider a stator from https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com...-Stator-21_560 or this place.2005-08 Sportsman 500 Carb Stator | Quad Logic

Old 09-18-2017, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

pretty damn rusty in there! Second picture you can see through the hole that it looks like it was arcing out/melted. I ordered the cheap one. I read quite a few bad reviews on RMStators being bad so I'll try my luck with the Caltric, they have a warranty as well. Ill keep you posted when i put it in. I gotta get a puller then I'll be able to get a better look at the stator as well

Old 09-18-2017, 01:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I can see that the stator windings are junk. Make sure the magnets are still ok and haven't chipped.Clean all the dirt and seal the recoil with silicone along with sealing the rope handle to the nipple to keep water out and dirt out.You can always break the silicone loose if you need the recoil starter.

Quick Reply: Rpms reading 0