Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Yamalube Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 01:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamalube Question

Picked up a bottle of yamalube four stroke oil, filter and sparkplug for a periodic oil change(20w-40),being the first time iv'e used yamalube is it full-synthetic or mineral(doesn't say on bottle) and what do you guys think about it?

Old 06-28-2003, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

I have a bottle of 4R and it has semi synthetic on it. I dont have a raptor, but 20w-40 sounds a little to heavy for that. What did the book say? usually, its a 10w-30,40 for stuff like this... i could be wrong though. use whatever your book said for the climate/conditions you are in.

Old 06-28-2003, 10:06 AM
Range Rover

Yeah, i looked in the manual before purchace seems about right and thats what the shop reccomended so i figured i'll go with it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] thanks

Old 06-29-2003, 01:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The only experience that I have had with Yamalube is the 2 stroke oil. I ran that in my dirtbike. My friends ran it in theres as well. We have never really had any problems with the bikes until we started useing Yamalube. Soon afterward, all of our engines needed rebuilds. Mine first, then the KX80, then the RM80. I don't know if it is coinsidence or what, but I will never use Yamalube again![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2003, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

Not trying to throw rocks here, but I cant say that was the yamalubes fault. we have used 2R for years in banshees and stuff and havent had anything like that happen. what oil where you using before? BUT, 2 strokes do need rebuilding every so many hours anyway, so could it be that it was time to rebuild and was just coincidental that you were using yamalube at the time?

Old 06-29-2003, 01:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

We were running Golden Spectro for years without problems. Then were ran out and the only oil nearby was Yamalube. The KX had a fresh top end broken in with Golden Spectro. Im not saying that Yamalube was at fault, but we just found it ironic that we all had these problems while running Yamalube. Now I have a 4 stroke so I don't worry about it anymore. But I will tell you that my friends won't even use the Yamalube when they rebild the top end to lube it. We just don't trust it anymore.

Old 06-29-2003, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

i've never used spectro, though i've always heard it was good. I cant really tell you why i never used it just never did! Yamalube is not a bad oil and it may do good for some and may not. I have never had a problem with it. But personally to tell you the truth, I like honda's HP2 oil the best. Some may not like it.. but that's ok...to each his own... I use that in my 250R. It seems to like it too! never a problem. It mixes totally smooth, never uneven or speration. nice.

Old 06-29-2003, 06:36 AM
Range Rover

How many types of yamalube 4stroke oil is there?? Any raptor owners using yamalube?

Old 06-29-2003, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

I have run Yamalube R in my 2-strokes since 1978 & NEVER had any problems...your little 80's were probably on the verge of blowing up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2003, 12:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Actually mine was a 250 Yamaha. Yeah, the little 80'd did blow up. The KX had to have the top end rebuild hours after is was already rebuild because a piece of the reed broke off and got sucked into the cylinder and all things went to hell. Shrtly after that it was rebuild again, but then the crank bearings went which caused the crank to bend and cracked the rod and you get the picture[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Both of the 80's have been retired in favor of YZ125's. Its about time they got those because I always made fun of them for being a couple of 18yr olds riding 80's, but hey they liked them and were comfortable so they rode til they blew!!

Quick Reply: Yamalube Question