Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Banshee for Sand Raptor for woods

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2000, 05:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yamahahahahaha,
We now have machines that can clean house everywhere! For years the Banshee has been top dog at the dunes(dont throw the LT 500 R out there, my last dune trip I saw no more than 10, and 2 of them were owned by my buddy) and now the Raptor, with its dimensions that are no bigger than a 400 exlax, is going to Rule the woods/trails. Man, Yamaha is the king still! Where are ya Honda/Kawi/Suzi? We already know where the DS is, a second behind the Raptor!

RoostKing...

Old 06-07-2000, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

This thing looks mean too! Available in Yamaha Factory racing blue, and a good looking black and white too.

Here is what you get..

A 660cc single cylinder thumper, SOHC, 5 valves, liquid cooled, with a 5 speed manual to drive it, electric start and reverse, removable subframe 10.5" of ground clearance all tucked into a 398 pound (dry) package.

The suspension is typical of Yamaha though with 9.1" up front and 8.7" in the rear, but hey you only need 12" if you weigh 500+lbs!

If I heard right MSRP will be $6499 and they should be eating up DS's by the fall.

I can't wait to get one of these on our salesfloor and put it next to a DS (which tags for $7K and will probably go up for '01).

The best part is that Yamaha already has GYT-R Factory accessories for it, pipes, headers, bumpers, graphic kits and grab bars ect.

Old 06-08-2000, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

with all that power it wont rule the woods, you will only use all that in the dunes or the desert. I think its a waste of money unless your a psycho or a dune/desert rider.

Old 06-08-2000, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

Heck no, I'd love to have that extra power on tap. I ride my Warrior in the Woods all the time. I often wish for more juice on those fire roads. I'll admit the Warrior has plenty of power for tight stuff but when you open it up I was always wanting a bit more. Heck I could use an extra 310cc... hehehe

Old 06-08-2000, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, and it only took Ya mama 100 years to change anything. They have been making the same old cheaply made crap for ever. The Blaster, Banshee, and Warrior have not changed in how many years? And everyone complains about the cheap brakes and skid plates and other low quality parts Yamaha makes. Now YEARS later, Yamaha comes out with something new and now they are the "king" just because they offer an engine with the most displacement? Yamaha or Cannondale will never sell as many high performance quads as honda will with the 400EX. I am a loyal Honda rider but I will be the first to admit the 400EX could use some improvements, but at least they had the ***** to come out with something bigger and better and I think it was a huge success! If any other company would have done the same thing, another company just would have made a bigger machine. I think Yamaha should have used the 400 or 426 in a quad like everyone wanted. Now that would have been a sweet ride in a 250R/400EX style frame! Well that's my 2 cents worth.
ERIC

Old 06-08-2000, 10:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The 400 is a nice machine, but its performance leaves much to be desired. If Honda decides to step up with a 650 ex, then you will have something to brag about, uintil then, it appears all other manufacturers are trailing seriously behind this 660.

RoostKing...

Old 06-08-2000, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, it only took 2 years to answer the 400EX. And all other manufactures are trailing behind? You act like this Yamaha has been out for a while. It was introduced a couple of days ago and right away it's the best? Lay off the peace pipe man, in time(like it took Yamaha), somebody else will answer with another quad. I think Susuki is so far behind they need something to compete, I mean what was the last 4-stroke sport quad they made? The lt250 quad sport? At least Kawasaki has a Mohjave(or however it is spelled). If you ask me, the Cannondale looks like the answer to our needs.
ERIC

Old 06-08-2000, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

So far the only new quad that has really caught my eye is Cannondale. While I think the 400ex, DS and Raptor are great quads and really are helping the market; it is not what I am looking for.

Right now, I am very into racing. And these quads do not make my loins tingle. For one thing, I find that 4 stroke motors to be very annoying when piped. The low rumble may sound more powerful, it tends to give me a headache after a while. The last race we had, the 4 stroke class was dominated by 400ex’s with aftermarket exhausts. The roar was too much for me.

I see a trend in the high performance quad world going towards trail riding or dunes. I think this is great for the market overall, but does not fit my needs. Until one of the major companies make a TRUE race quad, I will stick with aftermarket stuff to update mine. While I wish the two stroke market was here to stay, but I am afraid it will be gone in a few years. I doubt it will ever leave the racing scene, but I also doubt the manufactures will produce a two stroke again.

So until the manufactures build something for me, I will use the aftermarket to build my own. But I am very happy for the market overall and especially for all the riders out there that are getting the quads they want.

One a final note, I have only one thing to say to the manufacturers………..

LET”S GET READY TO RUMBLE! And may the rider with the largest after purchase smile win!

Old 06-08-2000, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, somebody's offended that Yamaha made a great new sport quad WITH REVERSE!! Honda missed the boat there, I'd have bought the 400EX a long time ago if it had reverse. You guys should realize that moto cross racers make a miniscule share of the market at best. I think that Yamaha wants to please the most people and sell more units and by god they built the machine to do it. If it lives up to the hype that is. You guys with your 10+ year old 250r's dont realize that not everyone wants to build an old 2 stroke quad and you dont have to get your shorts in a bind at everyone who wants a nice new quad that doesnt say HONDA on the side.

Mark '98 Warrior
'97 Blaster
hopefully 2001 Raptor 660R!!

Old 06-08-2000, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

If I wanted reverse, I would have gotten a 4X4. What is the purpose of a high performance quad if it is all decked out w/ reverse and elecrtic start. Why not just give it mirrors and a trailer hitch too. And MR450Auto, I don't care if it says CRAFTSMAN on it. Youre just jealous because you are riding a jalopy Blaster and Warrior and don't have the oppertunity to own THE BEST SPORT QUAD EVER BUILT, the TRX250R!
If this Raptor isn't a "racer" then why do you want a "RAPTOR 660R"?
What does that "R" stand for? Surely not RACER....
ERIC

Quick Reply: Banshee for Sand Raptor for woods