Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

YFZ vs. RAPTOR

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ vs. RAPTOR

I resently sold my Raptor because I didn't have time to use it. Now of course I have some times on my hands and I'm thinking of gettinga new quad. I already have a set of wheels from my Raptor that are just collecting dust in the shed so I would like to put them to use or sell them and I'm wondering how the YFZ will compare to my Raptor with a pipe and jet kit and K&N. Dont really want the noise of a pipe again because I will be riding it on 40acres of hunting land.

Old 02-17-2004, 04:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default YFZ vs. RAPTOR

I a YFZ and my brother has a raptor they are both about the same for over performance yfz quicker on pickup and better at cornering but rappy better top end, also i find the yfz small when riding and i am only small my self, but still it is a very good bike

Old 02-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default YFZ vs. RAPTOR

If you want a new quad, then go with the YFZ. The wheels you have will fit right on the YFZ. You have to understand its night and day with both of these machines. I have a Raptor with the same setup you had on your old Raptor and let me tell you, "You just can't compare the two". My friend has a YFZ450 with a pipe, K&N filter, and he rejetted and advanced the timing on it, and it just plain flys..... I can't keep up with him, and I pride myself with my riding skills, "I just can't stay with him". Now, if your going to use it for hunting and riding around on your 40 acre ranch, then I would think a Grizzly would be more useful to you. Please, I'm not trying to tell you what to get, but a YFZ450R is a great machine. Its made for riding hard and racing, if you feel you still need a performance machine, then go with the YFZ, and forget about the Raptor. I love my Raptor, but as soon as I can, I will be getting a YFZ450R. Hope I could help, either way you still win Raptor or YFZ450R

Old 02-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default YFZ vs. RAPTOR

You know I miss read your letter. With stock pipes, both machines are equal when it come to top speed. But, by getting the YFZ450R you still have the option of creating an extremely fast bike with little investment. Just by adding a pipe and rejetting. You get tremendous gains, as compared to the Raptor. The yfz is not wheelie happy like the Raptor, but doesn't take much to pull a wheelie on it. It hugs corners like you would'nt believe, the Raptor has the tendency of feeling a little tippy (nothing a little body english wont take care off)

Old 02-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ vs. RAPTOR

Originally posted by: yz450f
You know I miss read your letter. With stock pipes, both machines are equal when it come to top speed. But, by getting the YFZ450R you still have the option of creating an extremely fast bike with little investment. Just by adding a pipe and rejetting. You get tremendous gains, as compared to the Raptor. The yfz is not wheelie happy like the Raptor, but doesn't take much to pull a wheelie on it. It hugs corners like you would'nt believe, the Raptor has the tendency of feeling a little tippy (nothing a little body english wont take care off)
Thats probably one of the most accurate post i've seen posted, I own them both(yfz & rappy) and u hit the nail on the head.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ vs. RAPTOR

Well with all the stuff that i have done to my Raptor... which i only put about $1200 into it, I have won all the stock YFZ 450s that i have raced. I would go with the raptor.. they are cheaper and bigger. Those YFZs are low to the ground and aren't the right size for me (6'4" 210lbs) But personally if you are using it for hunting and stuff, i would get a Utility quad like a Grizzly 660. You aren't going to get the full use out of a raptor or yfz unless you drag race a lot or you go to the dunes. But if you do go with the sport and it is for your property, i would go with the Raptor, it is more of a trail quad.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ vs. RAPTOR

Raptor got revers lol
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ vs. RAPTOR

Originally posted by: 02Raptor686
Well with all the stuff that i have done to my Raptor... which i only put about $1200 into it, I have won all the stock YFZ 450s that i have raced. I would go with the raptor.. they are cheaper and bigger. Those YFZs are low to the ground and aren't the right size for me (6'4" 210lbs) But personally if you are using it for hunting and stuff, i would get a Utility quad like a Grizzly 660. You aren't going to get the full use out of a raptor or yfz unless you drag race a lot or you go to the dunes. But if you do go with the sport and it is for your property, i would go with the Raptor, it is more of a trail quad.
I would have to disagree I have both a red/black 2003 Raptor, and a new red/white YFZ 450, that I purchased a few weeks ago. And actually I paid less for my YFZ than I did for my Raptor. Also the YFZ is geared way lower and accelerates quicker and handles 3 times better in the woods. I love my Raptor when it comes to hitting the pavement and running her wide open but when it comes to MXing, I'd rather be on my YFZ.

Old 02-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YFZ vs. RAPTOR

Originally posted by: yz450f
Raptor, slower acceleration, a few mph higher on top end. (stk)

The raptor gains up to 14hp with a pipe and K&N and jetting, which is more than a yfz w/ pipe and filter rejetted. The raptor is severely detuned from the factory, as the yfz is much closer to race specs. Take a look just at the compression specs and you will see that the raptor is 9.2:1 and the yfz is 11.9:1. The cam on the yfz is relatively more aggressive than the stock raptor cam as well. The raptor has more potential, but the yfz is the faster bike out of the box. Both are extremely close in speed so the real question is what you plan to use it for. If you are a trail rider and drag racer the raptor is your machine. MX and similar technical riding would bring on the yfz.