Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Does it make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it make a difference?

Does running race fuel in a stock quad make a difference or are you just waisting your money, and will it have any ill affects on the quad?

Old 05-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

it will burn cleaner. A guy I know is running 110 in his 02 Raptor b/c his piston is going to $hit and he's a cheap skate and doesn't wanna fix the problems when they start. (he claims it will make his piston last longer....im not positive if it's true, but to each there own I guess). I'm not sure if you will notice a difference in hp though.

Old 05-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

You wouldnt notice a diffrence untill you get up around 115. Its a waste of money on a stock quad.

Old 05-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Range Rover

Thats what I was thinking but I just wanted to be sure.

Old 05-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

i heard if you have a aftermarket rev limiter you should run a high octane fuel. since i heard that and i do have a after maket rev llimiter i run 100 octane but only when i go to the dunes. should i be ok. and has anybody else heard that about rev limiters and higher octane fuel?

Old 05-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Range Rover

The only thing that matters is your cylinder compression as far as fuel octane goes. A stock engine will not benefit from a higher octane fuel. Once you start bumping your engine compression up is when you need to start running a higher octane.

I'm not a chemist but it has something to do with combustion efficiency under compressed air. Maybe someone else that knows more about it then I do can explain further.

A higher octane fuel won't make a stock piston last longer for sure. It's just a waste of money.

Lower octane fuel does burn darker but there's just as much crud(carbon deposits) with higher octane, the higher octane just has lighter colored crud, or carbon deposits.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know how quads work but in a car, by running the lowest octane your car will take will give you the most horsepower. Im assuming that it is the same in a quad because they are all internal combustion engines. Lower octane ignites at a lower temperature, burns hotter and produces more power. When you supe up a vehicle i.e. compression, you need higher octane so you don't blow up your engine.

Old 05-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

so ur sayin higher octane makes less hp? all i know is higher octane gas burns faster

Old 05-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

I always like to run at least premium fuel through my quads, especially my sport quads.
I've heard that 100 octane and above just run cleaner through most quads, and I hear that by running alchohol, your quad really screams...just be ready to buy a fire suit lol...
but no, i don't think this will help if your quad is stock

Old 05-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

What type of Fuel should I run in my Stock Raptor to get the best Performance. I Run 94 in my Stock Banshee but that calls for higher Octane.

Quick Reply: Does it make a difference?