Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

How often do you have to rebuild sport quad motors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often do you have to rebuild sport quad motors?

I was going to get a dirtbike for jumping and going fast but I went on a dirtbike forum and they said you have to rebuild the engine every 20-25 hours for a 2 stroke ($100+) and every 50hrs for a 4 stroke($300+)!! That's absolutely rediculous I can't afford that!!, So what I'm wondering is how many hours you can ride a 2 stroke quad and a 4 stroke quad without ANY rebuilding.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 01 shee. And it Hasn't been Rebuilt yet and Still Runs Strong. I would say it depends on How you Ride and Your Maintance Habits. Change oil Regularly Grease your Quad, and Lube your Chain.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are just playriding and not racing, then even the 450's can go a few seasons between rebuilds, maybe longer. Racing tends to be much harder on engines and other components, making the big services come at much shorter intervals. The engine in something like a Z, Raptor, and especially the 400EX is able to go for even longer. I would think 5 and even 10 years are not out of the question.

Old 10-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i'll be starting to ask myself the same questions now having my new toy. ive ran them all toyeboy, and i tell ya, if you want the very fastest, get a dirtbike, a 450 at that, but if you love quad'ing with a passion, but your king just isnt fast enough and you dont want to get a big 800, then a sportquad is deffently it. and since you invested in a utility first like i did, i reccomend getting a trail quad like the Raptor, Preddy, and Outlaw

Old 10-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the advice guys.

spyder 6, the main reason I want something different now is just to mess around with, my KQ has plenty of power for a 4x4 IMO and I'll use it for plowing snow and mudding, but no matter what Utes simply aren't made for jumping and I really am wanting to hit jumps without the fear of braking something, if I was to get a dirtbike it would most likely be a 250 2stroke, if I was to get a sport quad I would want a yfz450, but I could get a dirtbike A LOT cheaper plus they're faster so I'm not sure, I cetainly wouldn't be racing with it so maybe it would last longer than what the guys on the dirtbike forum said.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well just know, the 250R isnt the fastest bike by far, but they handle good, and if you think there alot cheeper than a sport quad, your seriously mistaken. a CRF450R costs 7300 USD, thats 1300 more than what you can get a predator for at the dealer

id still take a look at the sport quads if i were you, we have a XR250R, dirtbikes really arnt all that there cracked up to be

Old 10-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

I'm talking about getting a used dirtbike compared to getting a used sport quad, there's no way I could go out and buy a new one for over $6000, I can get a desent used 2001 cr250 for around $1500 compared to the closest in speed quad, a used yfz450 for $5000+. I'm not worried about having the fastest or latest and greatest dirtbike either I just want something cheap that's faster than my King Quad (yeah I know, pretty much every sport quad and certainly every dirtbike) and something that I can just have some fun jumping with and not feel bad about doing it. But I have a very open mind right now on taking a look at sport quads so I'll keep trying to see the pros and cons of dirtbikes and sport quads.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

if its only 1300, go for it, if he has maintnance records look at them, those 2strokes are usually ran hard right out of the box

Old 10-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer

I have nearly 500 hours on my two 400ex's with just external mods (pipe, K&N, Jetting) and they run great. Just change the oil reguarly, lube chain and clean the air filter. As for comparing quads and dirt bikes there is no comparing. Dirt bikes will always be faster and go higher. I used to ride dirt bikes when all the best came from Europe (Husky, Maico, CZ) but at 51 if it weren't for the quads I would not be riding at all. Two strokes will always have more maintence but are unbeatable for power to weight ratio.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

on my dirt bikes i get about 20 hrs on a 2 stroke and i ride hard! and on the 4 stroke i get about 500 hrs the the same thing as in a quad no differance in life of the engine 2 stokes you can get 100-400 hrs out of and a 4 stroke man they last for years and years those goobers that rebuild after 25 hrs are nuts i ride more then that in a weekend i rebuils once a year or so just for reliability on the 2 stroke i could prolly go 2 years but id rather be safe then sorry

Quick Reply: How often do you have to rebuild sport quad motors?