Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Sport quad or dirt bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport quad or dirt bike?

This spring I'll most likely be getting a used dirt bike or maybe a used sport quad just for the speed and jumping. I know I'd be getting a 250cc 2 stroke so I know it's faster than any quad out there unless it's a heavily modified banshee, so I'm not asking which is faster. I just want to know from those who have experience with both which is more fun in the trails and on some jumps...I just want to have fun!!! And what would you recommend?

Old 01-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

i think its safe to say that for jumping, a good dirt bike will out jump a quad and have more hang time. just watch motocross and the x games.

for trails, ive beeen on some trails where i wish i had a dirtbike. i think it wouldnt be a bad experiment for you.

maybe a 250cc 2stroke might be a little too potent just for trail riding- they rip. i used to ride with a guy that had a stock cr250r (2001 0r 2002 model) and it didnt seem very happy on the trails until he took it out on the fire roads and nailed the **** out of it. that bike was made to and did tear @ss. but let the other dirtbikers chime in. maybe you should try to find a used CRF250x or something. they're 4 stroke, pretty quick and light and honda changed them to be a little less potent and more reliable thatn its crf250r 4stroke brother. they made it for xc and rec riders, according to honda. even has electric start on it. i thought about getting one.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

I want it to rip! I know if I got a slower one I'd always want more, that's just the way I am. I'm also trying to stay away from a 4 stroke due to the expensive cost of a rebuild vs. the 2 stroke plus I love the smell of 2 strokes...but the electric start sure sounds good on that Honda. I wouldn't be trail riding a lot just sometimes, I live out in the country, the majority would be on a dirt road right by my house that NO one ever drives on...there's dead ends all over the place so I'd be able to open it up often. Plus there's straight wide open trails all over this area...Ohhhh I can't wait until it spring gets here!

Old 01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

i should have asked this first- do you have any experience with either a good dirtbike or sport bike? i wouldnt want you to get somthing that is beyond your skill and read about you in the paper...

those cr250rs rip, man. they are very fast, not beginner bikes. if it's a road and you have wide trails that people dont mind you riding on then i dont think you can go wrong with a sport quad either. since you want a 250cc twostroke, that narrows the list substantially- maybe a trx250r or quadracer 250? they are all over ebay and prob local sale (more so with the trx, quadracers seem to be a little harder to find around here). a tecate4 250cc will rip but they are very rare now a days.

i dont know what the cost of the rebuild is on the crf250x but i have a trx450r, had it for 2 yrs and its no where near needing a rebuild. if you are not a hardcore racer, change your oil as specified with the newer 4 strokes, i think you be surpised by the power they put out. Granted they are highrevving bikes and need more attention than a normal 4stroke, but they are pretty potent.

you are in michigan right? i knew a person in iowa that had a mint 1988 trx250R for sale about a year and a half ago. it was worth the price. flawless. if i had not just bought the 450 a few months earlier....i might've had 2 trx250Rs!

Old 01-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2003 Honda CR250R. I also have a DS650 quad. Both are fast and both are fun. The quad doesn't begin to compare with the speed and acceleration of the bike. Here is why I have both. You can't seem to go slow on the CR250 and it is hard to ride the bike with my quad friends. Basically, if you are on the bike, you are riding it hard. I can only ride it hard for about 20 min., and then I need a break because I'm worn out. I guess I trying to say that I enjoy the quad because it extends my riding day, I can ride it hard and then relax and putt around. I can ride it all day and actuallly get out of bed the next day and function normally. If I ride my dirt bike all day, I am sore and feeling the effects in the morning. Dirt Bike for me is much more physical. Kind of hard to explain because they are so different. You know what, I am no help at all, just bye one of each and have fun. The important thing to remember is that you are riding and that in itself is fun.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have many years experience on both and own a CR250 and a sport quad right now. My advice is go with what your riding buddies have, it isn't to much fun riding a quad with bikes, or a bike with quads. A bike with quads is better tho because a bike can go more places than a quad.

Since you already have a quad I'd go with a bike. 250cc 2-strokes make great trail bikes and are fairly reliable, especially compared to todays 4-strokes. Plus you can pick up 2-strokes really cheap since they do not hold there value with the new 4-strokes out.

I don't know what your wanting to spend, but never buy a new 2-stoke MX bike anymore. You can find MINT ones for almost half of the cost. My 03' CR250 was $2800 used in mint condition, you couldn't tell it had ever been ridden. I put a pipe and reeds on it, and it really rips now and is still smooth for a 2-stroke.

Let us know if you have anymore questions, I can help you out on what to look for if you tell me what your wanting and how much money you wanting to spend.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

I'll definitely be getting a dirtbike since I do have an ATV and I don't want to be slower than any quad. Motox 26, I was thinking about getting a used RM 250 I've heard they're reliable from people and I've heard that all the MX bikes are pretty much sick fast. I got a question, when you do ride in fairly short trails with a 250 2 stroke dirtbike how hard is it to control the power since you have to rev them a lot?

Old 01-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: Toyeboy
I'll definitely be getting a dirtbike since I do have an ATV and I don't want to be slower than any quad. Motox 26, I was thinking about getting a used RM 250 I've heard they're reliable from people and I've heard that all the MX bikes are pretty much sick fast.
First off I need to know what year we are looking at here so I can tell you more about the bike. If you tell me how much your willing to spend I can give you a good idea of what is available.

As for RM's in general? If I couldn't have my CR I would get a RM250 next. I've owned a 98' RM250, and have experience on a 01' and 03'. For trail riding the 98' would be fine, but the 01' and up are really nice bikes for MX and trail riding. RM's handle real crisp and they are pretty powerful even in stock form.

All of the 250 2-strokes are pretty reliable as long as you don't rev the crap out of them. And all of them are crazy fast to.

I got a question, when you do ride in fairly short trails with a 250 2 stroke dirtbike how hard is it to control the power since you have to rev them a lot?

125cc 2-strokes are the bike you have to rev a lot. A 250 will lug down a bit. 250cc 2-strokes are actually the bike of choice for the top GNCC racers that race in tight technical area's. The power of a 250 will be intimidating at first, so be careful. Once you take your time on the bike your brain will naturally get used to the machine and you will get better throttle control in time. BE PATIENT with it and you will be fine. Not to mention you'll smoke any quad around.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Make sure to keep us updated on what you do or if you have questions!

Old 01-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are ditching the clunkey utility quad death traps, and getting dirt bikes for mountain trail riding. A dirt bike just does way better in technical trails. Already got the CRF230 for my daughter. I am going with a CRF250X (450X is a bit big for trails), and my son is getting a CRF150.

For the desert though, we are keeping the sport quads. Nothing like the flotation of big tires for the soft stuff.

So, ask yourself what kind of riding you are going to do. If you just want to hot dog around and play ride all the time, get the dirt bike. If you want to do a lot of long cross-country rides, the quad is probably more comfortable.

If you are a kid, a 125 2-stroke is probably more than enough bike for you!

Old 01-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry about forgetting to say the year and price. I've seen an 01 rm250 in the local paper for $2500 which is around the amount I'd spend...but I'm not ready to buy yet since it's still winter. That sounds good what you said about the 250's though..I didn't want to have to rev them all the time so.. and as for the power being imtimidating I want that because I'm sick of having to grow out things...this time I want to grow into, and I don't think it's possible to grow out of a 250 2 stroke from what I've heard.

Quick Reply: Sport quad or dirt bike?