Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

looking to buy the best quad

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy the best quad

I am thinking of buying a new quad. I've been riding with my buddies but the two groups riding styles are not the same. I would like to be able to ride with both groups but dont want to be laughed at if my machine wont perfom. I've asked my buddies but of course the friend on the raptor vouches for the raptor and the one on the trx does for the trx.

I'm wondering which bike is the best for trail, which is best for track, and is there one that performs well at both?

Old 12-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Check out the Suzuki Z400 or 450R. I don't think anyone can laugh at either. They perform in all type's of riding.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Yes I know I ride A Z400 and your thinking it's like your friend's sticking up for the brand they ride.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] But check out the review's for yourself. All around Quad's. Good luck on your search.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

well if you want a bike that can ride trails and track id also have to vote for the z400 or take a look at the kfx450. reverse comes in handy when riding in tight trails abnd both machines could be taken to the track and still perform well.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are talking the tippy old Raptor 660, then pass that one up. If you are talking the newer 700, it has more possibilities. Personally I don't like its ergonomics, but it does have a thrilling, torquey motor.

First off, for desert and open country nothing beats the 450R. Look at all the big desert endurance races like Baja and Vegas to Reno, and they are absolutely dominated by the Honda. That's all I ever needed to know about that machine!

On a tight trail, I like a machine that will lug down and can be ridden slow in the technical stuff, and that isn't the 450R which does its best work at high revs. Here I pick the Honda 400EX. The Raptor 700 would be a descent choice for the trail, but all that horsepower just gets absolutely wasted.

For a mixed bag of riding, the Z400 is a good choice. It does everything well, and the motor has lots of hop up potential with just a few simple mods.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was really leaning toward yamaha, the 700 raptor or maybe the 450 yfz.I have thought of waiting for the 525 outlaw but have been told the machine is still too new and to wait so the tweeks can be made and perfected. My buddie picked up the TRX about a month ago Ive only had a chance to ride it twice and man thats one bad machine!!!I think I'm going to pick up the TRX. I'm thinking of picking it up saturday morning so if this is not the best choice kick me!!! I will be going to honda/yamaha redlands. Thanx

Old 12-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: greeneyepit
I was really leaning toward yamaha, the 700 raptor or maybe the 450 yfz.I have thought of waiting for the 525 outlaw but have been told the machine is still too new and to wait so the tweeks can be made and perfected. My buddie picked up the TRX about a month ago Ive only had a chance to ride it twice and man thats one bad machine!!!I think I'm going to pick up the TRX. I'm thinking of picking it up saturday morning so if this is not the best choice kick me!!! I will be going to honda/yamaha redlands. Thanx
Your macking A mistake. But good luck with it. Congrats on your dission. LOL. That was just my kick.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Red Rider

I have buddies who have the Raptor 700. I just don't like the Raptor's ergonomics at all, and the rear end is still to narrow for the desert. We lowered the bars on one and it helped, but still is just doesn't fit me right. Yesterday at Glamis, one of the guys left his parked all day, because on the steep dunes he couldn't keep the front end on the ground......kind of scary. Needs an extended swingarm for the dunes.

I have buddies with the YFZ as well. For me, it feels like a Blaster with way more power. It is a fun play/track bike, but I find it a little squirelly for high speed in the open desert.

So the 450R was my choice, but I just don't try to go ride the trails behind Lake Arrowhead on it.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

to further the debate what about the kawasaki KFX V-Force 700? kinda a hybrid sport quad? you might want to check into it, and man those things sell cheap...ive seen a few 06's for 4800 OTD.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Red Rider

The V-force is a huge pig, with an automatic trans which has no place on any "sport" quad. The Kawi weighs 500+ pounds, and the 450R weights a mere 350 pounds.......you do the math!

The big Kawi and the DS650, are last resort bikes for guys who are to huge to fit on anything else.......

Old 12-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

You cant go wrong with the TRX 450R! Get anything else and you"ll always be second guessing yourself!

Quick Reply: looking to buy the best quad