Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Can't decide (part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't decide (part 2)

OK guys, I had a hard time trying to decide on the first of two quads.
But after a roller coaster ride, I bought a real cherry Polaris Sport 400.

I wasn't really heavily looking at getting the secondary quad first, but that's how it has turned out. I was really thinking more along the lines of a utility quad too, which this certainly is NOT! I figured I'd get a 4x4 for the secondary quad so it would be something I could get some benefit from, and it could be automatic for my wife.

But as it turns out, instead.... the Sport 400 gives me auto for her and 2 stroke excitement for me. The more I ride it, the more I like it. It's certainly a sport quad for sure. It's seeming to be a great sport trail blazer despite the fact it's not as MX capabile in stock form as the other sport quads are. That doesn't matter a lot out on the trail.

Anyways, I'm thinking of getting a standard sport quad for my second purchase here. One of the 400's or a 300EX or maybe a Warrior/Raptor 350. But the more I ride the Sport 400, the more I think I might be being a dumbazz about this....

On on hand, I think it's a good idea. I'd have the best of both so to speak... 2 stroke auto and a light 4 stroke manual.... and to an extent I could savor the remarkable condition of the Sport 400 and thrash on the other one... and there would likely be less maintenance/repairs that way too.

But on the other hand I sort of feel like I might be being a dumbazz because in many categories this Sport 400 I already have just flat spanks these other quads I'm considering. I mean I like and am used to what these quads bring to the table... lighter weight, different handling, different power, and also the control and challenge of a manual gearbox. But you also have to admit that it would be sort of comical to go on a ride and have my wife on a quad that will flat smoke mine... lol... not that I think we would ever ride that aggressively.

But this did dawn on me when I saw how well my rank beginner wife could keep up with me in the woods at a 2nd-3rd gear pace with me on a piped 300EX. The Sport 400 was a great purchase in that respect too I guess.

So I guess I am just thinking out loud here and hoping some people will give me some feedback.

Recently I have looked at a 300EX, a Warrior 350, a 400EX and another used Sport 400 (actually an '04 Trailblazer 400).

Old 06-12-2008, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider

seriously you cant let your wife have more cc's than you... gotta atleast go with a 400 and being that hers is a 2 stroke well you can see where im going with this

Old 06-12-2008, 06:45 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Sidewinder500

seriously you cant let your wife have more cc's than you... gotta atleast go with a 400 and being that hers is a 2 stroke well you can see where im going with this</end quote></div>

Yeah, I don't guess it really matters, and I think it is good for me that the sport is easy for her to ride at an Ok pace. But you gotta admit it would be comical and good for a laugh at my expense when we are out for a ride together.

At the same time though, the majority live in this imaginary world and probably wouldn't even realize this was the case. But I'm not in any sort of denial of the truth, so this is something that has occured to me, and I'd be lying if I didn't say that in a way I feel sort of stupid looking at quads that are slower than what I already have.

I may still buy a honda or suzuki though, so I have the best of both or whatever.
I'll probably still end up riding the Sport 400 more than her overall anyways.
That's why I'm glad it's a 2banger and I'm glad I bought it for the auto quad.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider

In addition to those above, today I found an equally cherry Trailblazer 250 I could buy for my wife to ride... same machine, smaller motor...

But I also found a few more manual sport quads for me...

If I get the Trailblazer we'll have a pair of brand new quads really.
Not literally brand new, but in brand new condition, hardly used...

But for some reason I didn't just pounce on getting the Trailblazer...

I don't think I'm 100% sure I want the Sport 400 & Trailblazer Combo.
Not because I see anything wrong... just lack of variety...

If I buy a manual sport quad instead, I have variety... and I think deep down I feel a little more comfortable thrashing on a regular Jap sport quad... I'm brand spanking new to Polaris and unsure of the abuse it will withstand... just seems like more stuff to wear out and break... but maybe I'm wrong...

Old 06-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

I'd get a Z400, KFX400, or DVX400. If you aren't aware, all three quads are the exact same machine with simply different plastic. They are supossed to be able to run with the 450's with just a few mods. I used to have a raptor 350, until the wife totalled it. It will flat out smoke the 300ex once it hits 3rd gear. not to mention it is a larger, more comfortable quad to ride. I have an 07 predator now. It makes my old 350 look like a kids toy in the power department, but little did I know just how good that 350 worked on the trails I ride. It will climb like nobodys business, it is very good in mud, handles well, and though it isn't the fastest, it still has plenty of power to make a fun ride. It depends what route you want to go. The z400 is faster, but costs $1000 more new than the raptor 350. The only thing I didn't like about the 350 was that it is air cooled. I ride on very tight, narrow trails, with hidden tree stupms. I never had any overheating problems if I stopped every so often to let it cool for a few minutes, even though the mud and water usually cooled it for me.