Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

How reliable? honda 250r banshee

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How reliable? honda 250r banshee

How reliable is the honda 250r and the yamaha banshee? what is more reliable.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In its day, the R was considered to be a reliable machine, for a 2-stroke. But, they are all showing their age now.

The Shee was made until a couple years ago, so a newer one is going to be better than the old ones obviously. If it's old, then probably even worse than the R.

Can't even remember all the times I have towed a Shee home through the desert. Towed a couple R's too, back in the day.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Neither would be considered very reliable by todays standards, but if they were equal in maintenance, treated similarily, and similar model years, then the 250R will be more reliable.

However a much newer Banshee should be more reliable than an old 250R.

-Krait

Old 06-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

valid ponderings. take care of either and both are reliable. neither has ever left me anywhere. we've had several banshees since the beginning and 250Rs and can only name 1 banshee for not running right due to an what was ultimately a rider issue. it was a costly issue at that; if something happens to the banshee engine, you have 2 of everything to think about, so the cost doubles.

besides it being a superior handler, personally, i would rather trust the 250R. 250R was rated #1 in reliability back in the day, beating out the fourstrokes. mine was 17yrs old when i bought it, i was the third owner, and it was on its first rebuild. it was well taken care of though, but it is still going strong and nowhere near needing another.

it is a good point to think about a newer banshee if you want a 2 stroke though; 4yrs of production vs. 19 for the banshee. Statistically, you are more likely to find a good banshee. however, these things rip so the ones i see for sale are usually dogged out. I know dealers HATE to trade for them. they assume all of them are crap. They will trade for a 250R though; its rarer and they can sell them faster.

if i were you, id look to the 450 class. they generally produce high revving two stroke like power; most redline past the older 2 strokes.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has an old Shee. While he has a bunch of new generation 4-strokes, he keeps it around because his wife likes it. It blew up the other day, and he took his time before he tore it down. Turned out there was coolant all over inside, and it rusted everything out inside. If he had gotten into it right away, could have samed himself a lot of grief!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

My buddy has an old Shee. While he has a bunch of new generation 4-strokes, he keeps it around because his wife likes it. It blew up the other day, and he took his time before he tore it down. Turned out there was coolant all over inside, and it rusted everything out inside. If he had gotten into it right away, could have samed himself a lot of grief!</end quote></div>

Well first off that is awesome. Hope my wife gets to the point one day that she loves a Banshee. Right now she loves whatever we can both fit on. Ha ha.
Second, I bet that was definitely an 'O crap moment.

Sorry, I was surfing the forums. Didn't realize this was such an old topic.