Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Starter Quad For A Newb

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Quad For A Newb

Whats up, I have a quick question.. My neighbor wants to start riding quads because me and a few guys in my area all ride in our surrounding area cause of major gas stations,pipelines, electrical lines, neighborhoods, etc.. He has never been on a quad (Not even mine) and would like to have some personal opinions about a starter quad.. He would probably be like me and ride in our subdivision and hit some small paths or whatnot.. (Wouldnt really consider them trails...) He is 20yrs old 5'10 175lbs and would like to purchase one used... I suggested a Blaster or Warrior... How bout yall..?? Brand doesnt matter as long as its not that chinese shhyt.. Also what type of quad would you catagorize a Warrior as sport or utility..??

Old 09-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Blaster will be to small for him, and the Warrior is a turd! (Yes, I know this first hand because I rode a Warrior for many years....before your friend was even born.)

The best bet will be one of the 400's. They are easy enough to ride that an adult beginner can handle one, yet an experienced rider will not get bored either. I like the EX for tight trails, and the Z for more open country. Should be lots of used ones on the market.......

Old 09-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Recon for the feedback... You always give great feedback... How fast does a Warrior go..??

Old 09-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MrYamahaInATL

Thanks Recon for the feedback... You always give great feedback... How fast does a Warrior go..??</end quote></div>

The Warrior is reasonably fast for its displacement, but the problem is that they handle clunkey....like they are heavier than they really are. I thought the Raptor 350 (just a warmed over Warrior) would be better, but I road my friend's, and it is no better than the Warrior ever was....

Old 09-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I was gonna get a Warrior because here in GA I see people selling them for cheap.. I found a guy across town who was selling his it was a 02 motor in a 98 frame and it only needed brakepads and he sold it for $500 literally.... But I heard like you said they handle heavy, but I seen on Youtube all these stock; Banshee, Warrior, and Blaster drag race and the Blaster finished 2nd after Banshee took first...

Old 09-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Range Rover

With a Warrior you get what you pay for. As reconranger said, a 400 class sport quad is his best bet. They are fairly priced (used) and are loads of fun, but aren't as intense as a 450 or any of the big bore machines. Either the Suzuki ltz 400, the Kawasaki kfx 400 or the Honda 400ex, they're all very good choices for all around machines.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, but I havent rode a quad since I was 10, and I just got a new Raptor700... I thought of just using the throttle limitor and just decreased the power and when I got the hang of it I just added more back... I'm really a quick learner... Also thanks for your feedback

Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

my friend rides an 89 warrior, it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin, nothing can kill that machine it seems

Id reccomend a warrior, 300ex, 400ex, z400, scrambler (400 or 500) trail boss/ trail blazer,
wolverine, anything like that

Old 09-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would agree the blaster is a great starter easy to shift and easy to ride but it is a bit small. i would also say a good one is the susuki 400 is also a good starter quad. also as stated above the warrior.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Range Rover

I'll add one more to the 400ex column. I just got into quads this year having only ridden a utility quad once before then. If you are smart and don't ride beyond your skill, the EX is a perfect quad. Utterly reliable, forgiving, easy to learn on, with enough power to keep you happy for a while. Not to mention easy to hop up if you ever get bored. I am completely happy with choosing it for a first quad.

Quick Reply: Starter Quad For A Newb