Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

why no more 250r's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-1999, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have recently joined the world of quads and enjoy riding them on the dunes.
i noticed that the 250r 2-stroke race quads were discontinued by all manufacturers after '92. the only 2-stroke quads out there, i wouldn't want: banshee(two of evrything to break), blaster(toy), the polaris automatic things(automatic? maybe for handicaps & lazy), the only thing that sounds like it may have promise to me is the gas-gas that is being talked about: 300cc 2=stroke.. (but then..what about parts?), any others?
they still race 2-stroke quads so why can't we buy them here in the land of teh free and home of the brave... or should i say its now the land of liberal tyranny, and the home of the depraved?
the sport is on the upswing again... will we see these ever again on any large scale?
there are a few issues:
1. safety: riders need proper instruction.
2. environmental/environazi: 'oh my! it smokes! shield the children from that nasty thing! oh think of the children!' need i say more?
3. demand: i'd buy one, but i figure since cali banned them, demand is way lower.

------------------

Old 09-22-1999, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

You got it. The CPSC & the Lawyers (and the morons that hired them) were responsible for the demise of the performance machine. California and the EPA are the reason Honda isn't building a 250R again. They have not ruled it out though, if they get their "clean" 2-stroke operating like they want it to. Oh well, I am at least happy the consent decree has expired and the manufacturers are starting to look at the performance market again. Back in '86 I saw what I thought was the beginning of the end of our sport... Let's hope we can keep those Liberal "You are too stupid to think for yourself, so we will for you" morons out of office...

Gabe
'86ATC250R
'86ATC350X
'00TRX400EX

Old 09-22-1999, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

We should have the two strokes back! It's unfair that the Jap manufacturers will put the good engines in the motocross bikes but not in quads. What is up with this? Contact the AMA and voice your opinion please. 1-800-ama-join. Since quads are outselling bikes 4 to 1 we should have some say on this matter! Not only talking about the engines, but todays motocross bike are very technologically advanced. Honda's CR race bikes even have Aluminum frames for 2000 year models.

Old 09-22-1999, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris's for handicapped people???
I could go on & on like I have before about how I can drive 13 speed 18 wheelers & 16 speed tractors, grain trucks etc. But I won't get into all that again. I bought a Polaris because it was the quad I wanted auto or not. It was not because I'm handicapped. That has to be one of the stupidest things anyone has EVER said on this board.
c-ya,
Andrew Thomas
'99 Scrambler & '99 Trailblazer both w/RCR mods

[This message has been edited by Andrew Thomas (edited 09-22-1999).]

Old 09-22-1999, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

I think the emissions excuse is a load of crap. There are 2 stroke bikes, 2 stroke PWC, 2 stroke boat motors, 2 stroke lawn mowers, etc....

Old 09-23-1999, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

The 2 stroke thing is the truth. Snowmobiles are also being attacked. One of the latest rumors I heard was there is a company working with Artic Cat & Polaris on trying to make a turbocharger for 4 stroke snowmobiles. That way they can still have the power of say a 600cc +twin/triple 2 stroke. Maybe in few years there could be turbo charged Scrambler 500's & 400ex's ???
I doubt it
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 09-23-1999, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

that's an interesting point, back in the '80's there were some motorcycles produced with turbos on them. i don't who made them, but that they were darn fast and i don't recall why they quit making them either. i think they were scary due to the turbo dump being kinda dangerous in turns and the like. but that wouldn't be a prob on a sport quad usually. how much more weight would it take to add turbo to a sport quad? and how much more power would it produce? say on a warior or 300ex?
weight is a concern: any sport quad weighing more than 450lbs is a little heavy to say the least.
------------------

[This message has been edited by dual-sporter (edited 09-23-1999).]

Old 09-23-1999, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

We can only wish the 2-stroke emissions stuff was BS.. They are cracking down on all 2-strokes. Most of the 2-stroke bikes are closed course race bikes, they also get away with the loud exhausts that way. The way I understand it, is that Honda doesn't want to pour money into gearing up a plant to produce a 2-stroke quad that they may not be able to sell in one of the largest markets soon, (Cali). The EPA is also beginning to crack down on the outboard boat motor manufacturers, and it seems like I have heard about the environazi's going after Lawnboy (In fact, can you still buy a 2-stroke Lawnboy??? I really don't know) and the PWC's as well. I have also heard that some of the major PWC manu's are looking into alternative engine designs, they can see what's ahead, the environmental restrictions are not going to get more lax.

You also have to remember that a 2-stroke race bike demands respect and a more skilled rider, Honda knows this and cannot keep morons from buying and riding their bikes, and doesn't want to relive 1986 and the CPSC. I personally don't think they have much incentive to build another 250R, they would probably have great short term sales, but the Govt would come down on them via the EPA and CPSC for the long term (ala the 10 year consent decree) and we would be back to util quads only (yuk).

As far as the Quads not getting the technology that the bikes do: It has always been that way for some reason, and probably always will be.

BTW: Honda has been making aluminum framed CR's since about '97 I believe. Just went thru a redesign for '00 due to rider complaints of the frame being too rigid.

Gabe
'86ATC250R
'86ATC350X
'00TRX400EX

Old 09-24-1999, 11:15 AM
Range Rover

Bless you Yamaha for keeping the Banshee around for so long. It appears that the two strokes are a dying breed. I think I'll go buy a new Banshee or Gas Gas just because someday (who know's how soon) these may not be available anymore. I have never owned a Kawasaki, but I'm hoping that their involvement in factory ATV racing will eventually bring a production 2 stroke sport quad. If they will build it, It should break sales records for them, and it should. I'm tired of the Jap manufacturers not being responsive to ATV riders needs, but giving the dirt bike riders the latest and greatest toys. The market for motocross bikes is extremely competitive and that seems to have led to having very advanced, powerful, lightweight bikes. Yes, these bikes for closed circuit racing, but I see all kinds of them out on the trails. ATV's are also raced on clossed circuit tracks, so why can't we have the 2 strokes back. It's not like there would be huge development costs to design and re-tool their plants. It's already there! Look at the 250R. They already have the parts, design, testing, reputation, aftermarket support, certainly they would have an eager crowd standing in line to buy them. I hope someone builds a new racing 2 stroke. Build it and they will come!

Old 10-09-1999, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Lets start a 2-stroke fan club to support them. For the last couple of weeks, my interest in high-performance 2-stroke quads has sky-rocketed. After getting used to my 250r, I realize why people love them so much. It's a whole different thing.

------------------
- 1986 Honda TRX250R, 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html