Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

I hate to say I told you so, but........

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-1999, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah,yes! Honda Lovers Action(4 wheel atv action)does it again! In their latest comparison, the puny DS650 was again no match for their beloved Hondas 400EX and the extinct TRX 250r. So what if the DS 650 was intended for the desert, so what if the DS650 has a foot of travel on either end, and who cares if it smoked both of their precious Hondas real bad in the drag races. Who cares again if they (the editors) said that the DS650 is "WAY" more race ready than all of the other quads. So what?

The Honda turns better and is more suitable for other kinds of riding (DS stands for Desert Storm, I kind of think it was designed for the desert,duh!). Frankly no one will ever make a quad as good as their beloved 250R or 400EX. Why you ask? It's simple,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! Do you really think if someone came along with a better set-up that they would let you know, especially from a small manufacturer? Forget it, they are too hooked on Honda's almighty advertizing dollar to say that some other machine could be the best.

For those of you who are into predictions, I predict that Hondas new Rubicon will heal the sick, raise the dead, feed the masses with loaves and fishes, turn water into wine and walk on water. In short it will be the second coming! They will fall all over themselves describing how great it is (as if they aren't now). All of the great Honda inovations like water cooling, drum brakes, full time 4 wheel drive, and push rod motors. WOW, that's really tech! No doubt it will go up against the puny Sportsman 500 and prevail because of its much vaunted (overrated/speculated) reliability.

When the test comes out, I won't even have to read it, I already know what the results will be.

------------------
Mike Chero 97 Polaris Sport 400L/ 97 Polaris Trailblazer 250ES

<A HREF="http://users.penn.com/~hal9000/mikeetta.html">MIKE & CELESTE'S ATV PAGE </A>

Old 11-28-1999, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

You go Mike!!! Now tell us how you really feel.

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

Old 11-28-1999, 09:09 PM
Range Rover

Now mike.... Is that how you really feel?? I think you should let us know what your really thinking!!!

hehe

B370

Old 11-28-1999, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I THINK THE DS650 IS A BIKE THAT WILL NOT BEABLE TO COMPETE WITH THE 400EX OR THE BANSHEE. THE BIKE THEM TWO HAS TO WORY ABOUT IS THE YZ400 WHEN THEY PUT IT IN A QUAD. BUT UNTIL THAT HAPEENS THE 400EX WILL BE KING AND MIGHT ALWAYS BE.

Old 11-29-1999, 04:00 AM
Pro Rider

Do I smell a little pent up hostility Mike?

AFAIK there are many manu's that pay for lots of adverts in the rags, I don't know how (or why) they would want to upset anyone that advertises in their publications unless they feel particuarly strongly about a product. Members of my family publish a magazine locally, and I know for a fact they will not do anything that upsets *any* of their advertisers.

In fact most recent memory tells me that I remember seeing many more Yamaha adverts over the years, esp inside and outside cover (most expensive) than any other manufacturer.

I can remember plenty of times being mad at their indecisivness on test reports. I can also remember plenty of tests that weren't "given" to Honda. But that said, I would not base a buying decision on what a rag has to say, a person must ride the beast for himself and make the decision based on what is right for him.

Gabe
'86ATC250R
'86ATC350X
'00TRX400EX

Old 11-29-1999, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider

First off, thanks guys for putting up with my rantings. It is just so frustrating to pick up a magazine with the heading in big bold type saying "This Quad is Awesome" and then turn to the next issue and find out the same testers gave it a luke warm reception when tested against other models. I'd really hate to have to come out with a quad on a mass production basis only to be told that it doesn't stack up to the competition. Especially when you've poured your heart and soul into developing it.

Bansheekiller,

I think you've missed my point. NOTHING Yamaha makes will even come close to anything that Honda can come out with. I'M sure if the big Y ever does come out with a YZ400F motored quad, it will be a great machine. Of course the magazines will say that it won't be as good as the 400EX or the TRX 250r. That's what they'll say, not me!

86 atc250r,

Yeah, you could say I had a little hostility built up towards the rag in question. Still, I did look at the latest magazine and you're right. Yamaha did have more actual advertizing space than Honda. But when you compare the amount of FREE advertizing space given to Honda via the magazine tests you'll find Yamaha woefully lacking in this department. Here is a case in point. After reading for several years about the trouble with the dreaded air filtration and chain tension systems, I've come to accept them as the truth. Now I realize I was wrong. I've personally known several people who have owned a Banshee and have found out that the magazines writers are either lousy mechanics, or are overrating the problems on that fine machine.

If you even look at where the articles are placed in the magazines, you'll find that even that is biased. Pick one up sometimes and you'll see what I mean. All of the Polaris/American made tests are in the back of the issues. While all of the Honda tests are in the front. Coincedence? You be the judge.

------------------

<A HREF="http://users.penn.com/~hal9000/mikeetta.html">MIKE & CELESTE'S ATV PAGE </A>

[This message has been edited by Mike Chero (edited 11-29-1999).]

Old 11-29-1999, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

Mike, Preach it brother!
I understand The Rubicon is to be the offical quad of the pope...!
Yeah 3+4 Wheel Action & Dirtwheels are idiots. They would probably pick my old TRX125 over the DS650. They would say it weighed less therefore it was a better jumper, even though it's only suspension was the tires! Those guys are a bunch of pu**ies. They never want to "work" to ride a quad. Weighs too much, turns to hard, doesn't handle like an indy car. They should just quit riding & take up knitting if they haven't got the drive to work a little.
Saying the 400EX is better than the DS650 is like saying a Cavalier is better than a Z-28 because it is easier to park.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 11-29-1999, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about all of you people, but I like the magazines for testing machines and giving shootouts. I don't have enough money to buy them and do it myself, so I rely on the magazines to do it. After that, if I'm interested in one of the machines, that's when I go to the dealer for a test ride. It's the same with trucks and cars, go for a test ride at the dealer and see how it works. I have answers for all of your questions. As for the order of tests in the magazines, they go in alphabetical order, which is why Honda was first in the latest issue and Polaris Xplorer 250 last! Lets see, the Yamaha Kodiak is undefeated so far in every shootout it's been in, as is the Sportsman 500 is. In case you're wondering, these aren't Hondas. It's not the magazines fault if the other manufacturers won't come out with new machines to challenge their competitors, that's what wins shootouts! It's not the magazines fault that the Banshee has crappy tires in the back, it's Yamaha's! Let them fix their problem.

Old 11-30-1999, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

Andrew,

Here are some headlines for you:

HONDA RUBICON TO BE NEW POPEMOBILE!!!!!!

HOLYMEN OF THE WORLD UNITE IN PROCLAIMING THE HONDA RUBICON A "GIFT FROM GOD"!!!!!

HONDA RUBICON TO BE GIVEN SAINTHOOD!!!!!!

HONDA RUBICON RAISES PRINCESS DI AND MOTHER TERESA FROM THE DEAD!!!!!!

HONDA RUBICON CREATES WORLD PEACE!!!!

(LMMFAO)

You also forgot that your old TRX 125 has the all important "LOWER CENTER OF GRAVITY" than the DS 650. This is important when you are dealing with shootouts. In fact it could tip the scales in favor of the TRX enough to win the shootout.

I'm done talking now!

------------------

Old 11-30-1999, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

ha, ha, ha!!!
I can imagine those headlines next month on those magazines!
how about this...
"Elvis spotted on Rubicon!"

My TRX also had better mud protection with those big *** fenders
Plus that great Honda reliability makes up for the 10hp to 50+hp difference!

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Quick Reply: I hate to say I told you so, but........