Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Sport Radials

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Radials

What do you guys know about the newer sport radial tires?

What are the ups and downs of these?

Anyone actually bought a set?
If so, give some feedback.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport Radials

I'm running Maxxis i-Razr radials and I they are great IMO......a very good all around tire for trails and XC racing.

Radials will give you a smoother ride up front because they simply dampen better than a bias ply tire, I will never run bias tires on the front of my machine ever again. Radials also maintain their shape better so you get a more consistent and flatter traction patch on the rears. The i-Razrs hook up great in the sloppy mud and loamy soil.....The lug spacing allows for better clean out which is why they work well in the mud......

The one down side, is that they grip so well, they are often tougher to break free to slide with. In the tacky stuff it is very hard to slide them. But in hard-pack or regular dry clay they slide well enough. Not as great as the Razr-2 but comparable to most other tires out there.

The sport segment has been more resistant to the radial tires than the utility segment, that could be because of weight since the radials are a bit heavier and racers need every ounce they can get. But for a trail rider you will never notice the extra few ounces per tire. But little by little we are seeing racers give in. And we are seeing more and more tire makers putting them on the market. Someday, just like in cars, we will see the end of the bias ply tire and everything will be a radial...... I've already read that ITP is working on a Kevlar belted sport radial for MX racing and it could be the tire that changes everything.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport Radials

I have tried Maxxis iRazrs on the 450R, and ITP Trac Stars on the 250's.

I loved the radial ride of the iRazrs, but the traction blocks were to widely spaced on the rear, and the traction was totally lame. The fronts were however excellent, but were strangely very tall. I ended up giving them to a friend, who put them on his wife's Raptor 700 and she doesn't mind them. I have gone back to ITP Holeshot XC's.

The Trac Stars give a most excellent ride, and have pretty good traction. My only complaint is that they don't have any protection for the rim bead, and careless riders will end up bending rims. I will eventually go back to ITP Holeshots, when they wear out.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Radials

Well, ITP Maxxis and Kenda all have sport radials out now, so I have been wondering what it's all about.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running Maxxis I-Razrs on the front of my quadsport and love 'em!
got Fasttrekkers on back and love those too. easy to break loose but still hook up great.