Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

help between 450s???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, there about like the razr's. My bro has holeshots. You can still have some fun with them. Watch jumping in snow. If it's not packed you'll bury yourself on the landing and that is NOT fun. Hear in OK the wind causes huge snow drift's almost every snow. Last year a buddy went off the beaten path we had around his house and dropped into a 6ft snow drift that stopped him in his tracks. He was fine but, went over the handle bars and his quad went end over after him.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Range Rover

yikes...yeah all the jumps im guna make will be packed down with the backhoe but thanks for the heads up

Old 12-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

The rebuilding thing was a big thing to me. I wanted a 450 for trail riding but people steered me away cause i dont wanna have to rebuild all the time. Mainly because i have no idea what im doing. If i trail ride and not push the rpm's high all the time i dont see why it would need rebuilding a lot but again im no mechanic.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by darrinminton
... If i trail ride and not push the rpm's high all the time i dont see why it would need rebuilding a lot but again im no mechanic.
You won't need to. It's just a myth generated from MX racers that do rebuild to keep their engine with top compression. I've got 3 years and many, many, many hours on my old '04 YFZ. I've never had to rebuild. See no signs that i'd need to. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and has tons of pull.

Just be sure to keep regular oil changes (20-30 hours) with a good oil.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

you my friend have swayed my decision back to getting a yfz lol

Old 12-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

you my friend have swayed my decision back to getting a yfz lol

Ha, you won't be disappointed with any of the 450 class. I don't want you to think I'm being biased here. My bro has an 05 Honda 450R. He rides more than me. Same thing with his. Never tore into the engine other than to install hot cams and tighten valves afterwards.

If you ride anything rapped out at 9000rpm's for a long periods of time regardless if it's a kfx450 or a Rancher. You're going to need to do some ring replacements and valve checking. Now if you just want to have fun here and there you'll be good.

Again. Keep the oil clean. It's the life of ANY engine.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

I've been wanting a yfz for some time now. My cousin has an 07 bill balance yfz. He bought it new and he rode it pretty hard and never had to rebuild the engine. Which he wrecked it pretty bad and somehow pretty much totaled it out because he is an idiot. But i loved it. For the trails around here it was great. So i have a ?. Would a Z400 require as much rebuilding or would it at all compared to the yfz?

Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

I've been wanting a yfz for some time now. My cousin has an 07 bill balance yfz. He bought it new and he rode it pretty hard and never had to rebuild the engine. Which he wrecked it pretty bad and somehow pretty much totaled it out because he is an idiot. But i loved it. For the trails around here it was great. So i have a ?. Would a Z400 require as much rebuilding or would it at all compared to the yfz?
z400 is a great machine. It's not in the class of a 450 power wise but, pretty much as close as you can get. It's higher geared than some other trail machines like the 400ex or warriors but, if you've ridden the YFZ your accustomed to that.

I can't speak to the maintenance but, I'm in the belief that they would be similar. Neither of them requiring a rebuild unless something really goes wrong.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

so as long as oil is changed regularly with good oil and its is not abused the yfz should not need a rebuild

Old 12-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

I'm also looking at a 2007 Outlaw 525 with irs. Anything i should be aware of on the outlaw as far as problems or rebuilding?

Quick Reply: help between 450s???