Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

help between 450s???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see ive always thought that it was the strongest out of all the atv's---and that the 450s were the fastest atv's thats why i was kinda scared, so you are saying the 450s have more HP and more torque than the 700--stock for stock?

Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

Originally Posted by lil-man23
see ive always thought that it was the strongest out of all the atv's---and that the 450s were the fastest atv's thats why i was kinda scared, so you are saying the 450s have more HP and more torque than the 700--stock for stock?
to be honest, the 700 is a beast! you will easily feel the torque. the 450's are high revving bikes, totally different powerbands. when i had both the Raptor and the YFZ, i would prefer riding the Raptor on open roads, dunes etc. but for track, and competitive and not so easy courses, any 450 is the way to go.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Range Rover

like remember i am only 15! i am very experienced and an aggressive rider but i know i have limits to power that i can control - so stock do you think the raptor would have to much torque for me? and what do u think of a KF450 for me?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

Originally Posted by lil-man23
like remember i am only 15! i am very experienced and an aggressive rider but i know i have limits to power that i can control - so stock do you think the raptor would have to much torque for me? and what do u think of a KF450 for me?
I was no older than you when i first got the 660r in 02'. Before that I had barely one yr of experience driving a 125 dirtbike. Thanks to pops and to the big guy upstaris, I was able to keep myself alive. After perhaps a couple of months, I wanted more and then came the modifications. To be honest, talk to your parents since I'm sure they"ll be making the purchase. I just don't want you buying something small then regretting it, money doesn't grow on trees and ATV's aren't cheap. The KFX450 isn't a torque monster like the 700 but it's as fast if not faster than the 700. Like I said different powerbands. "Different strokes for different folks."

Maybe you should settle for a 400, they're great bikes as well.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, if you are trail riding, I don't think you would get bored with the Z400 in a year. Second, while the 700 Raptor has a lot of torque, the 450s are fast and have more of a power hit. Bottom line is any of them are powerful enough to get you into trouble and need to be respected. Third, define tight. The YFZ450R`is 49" wide and won't be much fun threading through 50" gaps all day. My 450 is set up for xc at 47" wide. Many of the 450s and Raptor etc are 46" from the factory. if others ride the same trails on stock quads, you shouldn't have any problems with one of those models. I rarely feather my clutch on tight trails, and when I do it is usually to force the engine to pull a gear higher so I don't have to upshift as much on the straights.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Range Rover

as yfz660r says about the KFX450 not being a torque monster---thats what i like i dont want to be overwhelmed by torque and thats what i think the raptor700 will be like ---- and to scooter86 i will be riding in trails that are wide for most sections but some sections are very tight! my little 250 can fit through it but i dont see a 50" wide YFZ450R fitting and also i also spend alot of time on my dad's parking lot which is decent size

Old 08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of the 450's, the Kawi will lug down the best, so if I insisted on riding a 450 on woods trails, that would probably be my choice. Of course, any of them can be geared down, which will help out on the trail, but none will be ideal.

My Honda 450R is geared down one tooth lower in front, and will still go 25 mph at idle in 1st gear....not the hot setup for tight trails! I like the Yamaha 450 for groomed track, but it is a rough ride out on a rough trail. I have never liked the Raptor's ergonomics, but it is cusher than the YFZ.

As for the Raptor 700 vs 450 debate, a bunch of my buddies own both and every one will tell you the Raptor is a torque monster, but falls off the powercurve at about the rpm where the 450's are just beginning to scream.....

Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

ok so the kawasaki will be the best in the trails out of all the 450s - do u think it will have any problems with how wide it is cause its just as wide as the raptor 700 right----see with the raptor i really dont want that much torque i just like speed and power but just not an outrageous amount of it like the 700---i like high reving quads

Old 08-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

If you ride aggressive and like to ride aggressive than a 450 is what you will have the most fun on. They pretty much HAVE to be ridden aggressive to the point they can wear you out. They will be a pain in tight trails and will get hot fast. You'll have to be able to open her up and get some air flowing to cool her off. If your not going to be able to do that than it's a good indicator if your trails are too tight for a 450.

I have some technical terrain I have to cross on occasions. Usually work across it than go another half mile in open before getting into it again and repeat. Thats fine for a 450. If you have to stay in first for an hour than no 450 for you!

Old 08-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reconranger
My Honda 450R is geared down one tooth lower in front, and will still go 25 mph at idle in 1st gear....not the hot setup for tight trails!
reconranger, i would love to see some video of your 450r doing 25mph idling in 1st gear. I have yet to average over 18/19mph in an xc race using pretty much every gear in the YFZ tranny. Furthermore, I am pretty sure I have never seen 25mph on my mountain bike without some downhill help. What does your quad top out at??

Quick Reply: help between 450s???