Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

How to install hot cams?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install hot cams?

Hi ,i want to install stage 2 hotcamsin/ex.so far i have remived the gas tank and plastics and the top piece covering the cams and i cant get these cams out,looks like the cam chain is keeping them from going out.how do we loose the cam chain or how to get the cams out...im really confused haha.and do i have to check the valve clearence with those hotcams and if yes how do i adjsut those valves? Thanks A LOT!!!

Old 04-27-2017, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a race cam put in my old Arctic Cat, but I had a mechanic do it. Someone who does that for a living can do it very fast. Really glad I let him do it. Think he relieved the timing chain tensioners, removed the sprocket off the cam first. Anyway, took him about 1 hour, then he put in straight 30W oil and had me hold the tachometer at 2,000 rims to break in the cam, for about 30 minutes. Then he did a final valve adjustment. He charged me $100! Think about getting an expert, like a motorcycle mechanic. If I'd tried to do it my self, I probably would have screwed something up. BTW, at the same time, he installed a 5 degree timing advance key. Have to run premium gas, but together, and a few other mods really kicked that pokey old cat in the butt. At least, find a Chiltons or other manual with pictures, unless youtube has a video.