Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

mod my 99 300ex

Old 04-04-2000, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a beginer mod, Im thinking ofa k@n kit.do I need to do anthing else to motor to be safe. Im a auto machanic I know little about quad motors.And will it be faster?

Old 04-05-2000, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, when you say K&N kit, are you talking the power kit, or just a filter? The power kit will be good, but I dont think that it alone will make your quad much faster or more powerful. I would also add a pipe to get the most out of it. There is of course a ton of other stuff you can do to it, but a pipe and power kit should spice it up a little at first. Beware though, more power can be addictive and before you know it, you are spending all your cash on new mods to make that baby fly.

Old 04-05-2000, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for info rhino99,I did mean the k&n filter kit ive been looking in the shade tree mag.ive ordered other stuff from them.being a auto mechanic im always leary about mods,sometimes nothing but trouble.any more info. will sure help thnks agian jeff h

Old 04-07-2000, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

dont buy a dg pipe, the brackets brake and they wont replace
and dont put a 11-1 compresion piston in it, starter has problems turning it over.

Old 04-08-2000, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

There are a few mods that you can do to make your 300EX more enjoyable to ride. Yes, the first thing to get rid of is the pesky foam filter, and the K&N is about the best there is. If you are looking for a little more power, the next step is the exhaust system. If you've noticed, the pipe is rather small and constrictive. Instead of spending a ton of money on a complete system, get yourself a oversized headpipe from the folks at Powroll in Redmond, OR. There # is 541-923-1290. This pipe will increase the power level to near that of an aftermarket system, but without all the noise. The change in sound is almost unnoticable, but the kick is! The next thing you might consider is changing the camshaft to a higher lifter unit. The 300EX is widely referred to as 'under-cammed', and it is. Web Cams (webcamsinc.com) makes several units to fit the 300EX and I would recommend the mildest version. You will not have to change springs/retainers/valves/piston or anything else. It will give the best 'bang for the buck'. If you put in a more radical cam you will lose reliability and longevity. (sounds like car talk, eh) The 300EX is a very durable machine that will last for many years. Mine is over five years old and has never been apart except for the mods that I have listed here. Still starts every time, doesn't smoke or leak, and is still tame enough for my wife to ride (and she is not a speed freak like me). Many guys will write in telling about big-bore pistons, hot hot cams, modified rev-limiters, superloud exhausts and the such, but I think you just want a little more punch from your machine. Make the mods one at a time so you can evaluate each step closely, making sure jetting is good and you didn't goof something up or leave a bolt loose, and soon you will have a 300EX that will be respected.

Old 04-08-2000, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

How much did that Poweroll Header cost you? I was thinking about getting one.

Old 04-08-2000, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

Supertrap makes a pipe and header that makes more power and not much more noise (supposedly). They have it in Dennis Kirk.
I would also recommend the WEB mild cam, I havent personally used this but from what I hear its pretty good. I plan to get one as soon as I pay off my other stuff.
Good luck and have fun!

Old 04-08-2000, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

The last price list ('98) I have from Powroll shows the pipe at $37.50. I'm sure that with tax and shipping that you will be about $50 dollars poorer. I really was happy with the performance gain from just adding the header pipe. I did it this way because I used to be a security gaurd at a big campground and needed to keep the noise to a minimum. I have heard too many 300EX's with an aftermarket system and they are just too loud for me. (guess I'm gettin' old!)

Old 04-10-2000, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

I just called Powroll 5 minutes ago. They said that the headpipe cost $74.95. Looks like I will be about $80 poorer. I am sure I'll be happy until I get my new slip on. Haven't made up my mind which one. Power Core 4 s/a, Big Gun, or a White Brothers E-Series? Which is better (more power)?

Old 04-10-2000, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

WhiteBrothers also makes a header for the EX, but it costs $129. It looks and fits alittle nicer than the DG, but they both serve the same purpose.

The best way to wake up your EX (like it or not) is too open up that airbox, install an aftermarket pipe and rejet. If you buy a pipe with a disk system. You can control the db level by adding and removing discs. It will be louder than stock. But you never get something for nothing.
Remember.....More air in, plus more fuel in = more power out.......

If you buy cams and pistons from a reputable engine builder, you will have almost the same reliability as stock. As long as you maintain your machine and don't beat the crap out of it like and idiot.

My EX produces almost 10 more HP than stock. Great for racing, bad for trail riding because the power comes on so strong.

Chris ----- 2000 Honda 300EX - Wiseco Piston, TC Racing Cam, valve springs, TC Racing ignition advance and rev limiter mods, WhiteBrothers E-series exhaust and header, port and polished head, bored carb, 14 tooth front sprocket, 8-1 inch holes in airbox, WB powerfilter, Holeshot XC's on Douglas Red Label rims. Suspension's in the mail.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mod my 99 300ex