Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Can you keep up with a bike??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you keep up with a bike??

I have a Z-400 and ride mostly with 2 guys that have dirt bikes. We do mostly desert riding. I can keep up with em jus fine...untill we hit a good whoops section. At that point...they pretty much leave me in the dust! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] What im wondering is....have you been able to modify your quad to be able to keep up with a dirt bike...in the handleing department? I'm not askin bout power here...and im not askin bout who's quad is faster than who's. I jus wanna know what suspension mods would be needed to stay even with a dirt bike...(if its possible)...and what u did to your quad to keep up with your dirt bike buddies! Im tired of gettin ragged on for ridin a quad!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-19-2003, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

Are you a good rider? Those woops take a while to get good at, a Z is probably one of the better stock quads for woops but the bikes do have an edge. Maybe a wider axle would help?

Old 02-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Is that what you did to your quad? Did it help?

Old 02-19-2003, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer

better shocks will let it take the woops easyer and u should be able to go faster in them

Old 02-19-2003, 05:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Play around with your compression and rebound on the rear shock. That can make a big difference. If I am not mistaken, the compression adjustment is on the resevior, and the rebound adjustment is on the shock itself. That's the way it is on my wife's Quadracer. If not someone set me straight. Bubba

Old 02-19-2003, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

I never did make my quad wider because i have lots of tight trails i rode on, i just tried different techniques on the whoops. Somethimes i would leapfrog or jump everyother one. That's fun when you get the suspension bouncing and you get momentum. But to keep up with the bikes will be tough. Going through those whoops will get you in shape, those back muscles get it really good. But try some of the shocks tips the others talked about.

Old 02-19-2003, 08:08 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I rode New Years with a bunch of bikes (www.ruts.org). About 40 in all, and only two of us had quads. These guys were experienced District 37 desert racers, on a variety of rides (the machine to beat was the CRF450!!) Anyway, we quads ran in the middle of the pack, and no way could I catch the bikes in front of me. But, no way could the bikes in back catch me either!! They said they could see my flag up ahead, but couldn't make up enough ground. And, we quads really trounced them in the deep sand.

I have Works Performace shocks, and my bikes are widened, but not so much that you can't do a tight wash. I can bash big desert whoops all day.

Old 02-19-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like a question for custom axis.

Old 02-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

I can keep up with most bike riders in any condition. But it takes A LOT MORE effort then a bike. They plain and simple have better suspension. IF you are a good rider front shocks and making sure your rear shock is set up to match the fronts makes a world of difrence. Other then that its just seat time.

Old 02-20-2003, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the input. I talked to someone that said a TCS rebuild on the rear shock would make a night and day difference. How much differrent did the Works shocks make? Anyone else make a shock change they were/are happy with? Or is keepin up with a bike...head to head...jus not realistic for a quad!? Thanks again!!!

JD

Quick Reply: Can you keep up with a bike??