Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Howdy all (can I get some input on a sport quad)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 02:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy all

Hello all. Wanted to introduce myself and get a little help if I may. I have been reading the forums and appreciate all the information you guys and gals have provided. I have ridden dirt and street bikes for all of my life. Only occasionally ridden quads. I am looking to buy a quad and wanted an opinion on the three I have narrowed it down to.

The three quads I am looking at are the LT500, TRX250R and the Banshee. I know each has their strengths and weaknesses. What I want it for is to do some trail riding, some racing and for a small amount of towing. What I am towing is a 600lb (including rider) drag bike. So the weight is rolling mass and easily towed. I was thinking of gearing down for track days when I would be towing and then go back up for the other riding. I am looking at an 88 LT500, 86 TRX250R and a 95 Banshee. All three are mostly stock and have not been abused. Also all 3 are about the same price. I am looking at the 2-strokes because that is what I like to ride. I know the 4-strokes are great but I just love the snap of the 2-strokes. Thanks and nice to meet ya all.

I also posted this in the buying section hoping to get more opinions hope it is not wrong to do so.

Old 04-13-2003, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer
Default Howdy all (can I get some input on a sport quad)

No one has any love for a newbie huh? Oh well.

Old 04-13-2003, 05:20 AM
Pro Rider

for what your describing, the TRX250r sounds like it fits the bill the best...
1- great trail machine in stock trim.
2- changing gears is easy, with a very simple & fast chain adjustment... which the other 2 don't offer unless they have aftermarket wingarms w/ round housing bearing carriers.
3- lots of aftermarket support.. due to its popularity for many years
4- great racer, best handling out of the three choices
5- mods are out there to fit almost any application.

Old 04-13-2003, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks again dual-sporter for your reply. I think I have eliminated the LT500. After talking to the guy it doesnt seem like such a good deal. I am now throwing into the mix the LT250R. I have looked long for a TRX250r in my price range and havent found one out here on the west coast. Found a couple in the eastern portion but shipping makes it too expensive. Thanks again for your input.

Old 04-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

I think a 4-stroke quad would suit your needs much better. They are way more realiable, cost less to operate, and there are alot more used ones out there for sale. You can pick up a good used 400ex thats only a couple of years old for $3000- $3500. All of the new 4-stroke sport quads (z-400, 400ex, Raptor, Predator,KFX700, C-Dales) will be way better on the trails then any of the 2 strokes you mention'd. If you were going to be doing alot of dune riding then I would say 2 stroke all the way, but for trails the 4-stroke is a much better pick. In stock form, they all have a way better suspension for trail riding then any of the quads you mention'd. Just something to think about, don't limit yourself to just one type of sport quad when theres so many good ones out there.

Old 04-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

hollywood, what's your price range?

since you already ride bikes, the LT250R has a standard kick starter too... the TRX250R kicks forward.

Old 04-13-2003, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

I am looking in the $3000 and under price range dual-sporter. I know that is not enough to get an already built machine, but then again I dont mind doing the building.

Old 04-16-2003, 05:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hollywood614
I am looking in the $3000 and under price range dual-sporter. I know that is not enough to get an already built machine, but then again I dont mind doing the building.
Hmm, good luck finding a 250r in that price rang. anyone who owns them tries to Ripp off whoever buys it because it says honda on it. anyhow, none of those Quads you listed would be able to tow the 600 pounds you said you needed to tow. because the quads are too light and not geared for it. but good luck anyway. (Welcome to the Forums)

Old 04-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Well, the towing part does throw a monkey wrench into the works but otherwise for your budget i guarantee the Basnhee will give you the best machine for the money. Like you said each has strengths and weakness so I won't go into all of the pros and cons. I just think you will have a better chance of getting a really decent Banshee for the money.

I'm sure you can tow the drag bike with any of those but they are not the best choice.

Old 04-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hollywood614

out of the 2-stroke quads that you listed are definitly the top choices of most 2- stroke riders/racers. The Honda 250r is still the top race quad out there and getting parts aftermarket and factory would be easier and larger amounst since this is the choice machine that most racers tend to go for. It wins races. So for the trail riding and racing parts I'd say 250r all the away. The problem I have is towing a drag bike with any of the 2-stroke quads do to the charactistics of a 2-stroke engine being every pipey. A banshee in my mind would be out of the picture for the towing reason do to it's poor bottom end, plus the banshee isn't the ideal woods machine either. So on to the 250r or lt250r both could pull a drag bike, but I would worry about a couple things: clutches, transmissions and not made to putt at low speeds (fouling plugs). Out of the 3 choices I'd rank them like this:

250r
lt250r
Banshee

The only nice thing about the lt250r is you should be able to pick it up alot cheaper than the 250r so you could buy a cheap 4-stroke 3-wheeler or mini quad to pull the drag bike. The other thing about the lt250r is if you go that route buy a 87 or newer. The newer the better the suspension was (still now honda handling thou), plus the 87 up where power valved with a 6 speed instead of 5.

Quick Reply: Howdy all (can I get some input on a sport quad)